This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to ride a course instead of navigating it

There is a difference between riding a course and navigating a course on the Garmin Edge 1040. When you ride a course, you see the thick purple line on the map that indicates the route and that you have to follow, like a bread crumb trail. When you navigate a course, the thick purple line on the map is decorated with directional chevrons and big white arrows at junctions or turns, and the turn guidance screen pops up when you approach a junction or a turn.

I prefer to ride a course instead of navigating it. My question is: How can I do that, that is, how can I ride a course and not navigate it? When I start riding, I select a pre-loaded course, and click Ride. This makes the Edge 1040 start navigating the course. To stop navigation, I have to tap the screen so the overlay shows, and click Pause Navigation. This is slightly annoying, but I can live with it.

However, when I ride off course and later go back on course, the Edge 1040 immediately starts navigating again. It says 'Navigation Resumed' in a grey balloon at the top of the screen, and 'Course found.' in a black rectangle at the bottom of the screen. The chevrons and the white arrows reappear on the map, and the turn guidance screen starts popping up at each junction or turn (even though Turn Guidance is switched off). To stop navigation, I again have to tap the screen for the overlay to show and click Pause Navigation. This is annoying.

The Edge 1040 decides quite often that I am riding off course and then on course again. This does not only happen when I do deviate from the course, but also when I stop by the side of the road at a bar for a pause, or sometimes for no apparent reason, maybe due to bad satellite reception or whatever. The thing is, the Edge 1040 constantly "finds" the course and immediately starts navigating it, forcing me to manually switch it off again.

Turn Guidance and Off Course Warnings (under Navigation > Courses > 3 vertical dots) are both off.

I have tried the Course Recalculation and the Route Recalculation options (under Activity Profiles > pick one > Navigation > Routing), but they do not seem to do much.

This never happened on my previous Edge devices (Edge 1030 and Edge 800).

Does anybody have any ideas on how to permanently disable navigation? Or is this just a bug in the Edge 1040?