This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Route using the wrong cached directions.

Interesting bug today. I loaded a route to climb Les Deux Alpes in France and it gave me directions for another of my routes in South West London in the UK. I wondered why I was constantly being directed to my local park. Had to remove the cached version and recalculate once I realised. Not seen this before. 

• Very strange. Let us know if you see that again.

• Will do. Will get screenshots if it happens again. 

• I have seen this a couple times, first with 12.x and now with 14.13.  I think it is related to deleting a route then downloading a new route.  In my case I likely used the same route name as a previous route.

• This sounds very much like problem that I am having. When I look at the map, my current course, that I am currently riding, is shown in dark purple. The track I have already ridden is shown in light blue. And then some previous course, that I rode before but am not currently riding, is shown in light pink, with directional arrows and chevrons.

The first time I had this problem I solved it by resetting my Edge 1040. After the reset, the light pink course was gone from the map. But after a few rides, a new (and different) light pink course, which I rode a few days before, has reappeared.

Additional information: I always empty the Garmin\Courses and Garmin\Activities folders on my Edge 1040 when I have completed a ride. So I assume the previous course (in light pink) is cached somewhere. Does anybody know where on the file system this might be cached?

My firmware version is 12.x.

• Hmz that could explain my strange routing issues recently. I use komoot and it syncs routes. But I sometimes work on routes to modify them later. The route is then at some point pushed to the edge. To make sure when I'm done with the route I have the latest I preventively delete them. Just to send the same (but then at that point modified) route again. If the route was cached after it's first sync and then the old cache is used afterwards. I'll test this and report back. 

• You don’t need to reset the edge, just delete the cached version of the route so it recalculates. Don’t have my edge handy to see the menu option but it should be easy enough to find. 

• You can remove the cached route through the UI on the Edge by

Navigation -> Courses -> Course name -> 3 dot menu -> Route Calculation

You can also remove it through the backdoor by deleting the file from the

Garmin\Calcs folder

• Off Topic but I was looking at your screenshots, I assume you are on 12.16?, have you modified the Map>Appearance>Advanced settings to reduce the zoom level when Street Names (Labels) appear? (and perhaps the Land Cover?)

PS, have not had 1040 long enough to play with all settings  (3 days) but with this set to default (auto) my labels appear at 300m, I have long (on my previous 530) wanted to get rid of the "Land Cover" at most zooms but the settings did not seem to work (on the 530)

• I'm afraid that does not work, because the previous route (let's call it Previous) is not there. There is no file Garmin\Courses\Previous_course.fit, there is also no file Garmin\Calcs\Previous_course.cal, and the course is not listed under Navigation > Courses.

Yet, still, it must be cached or stored somewhere, because it does show on the map in light pink as soon as I start navigating my current course.

I have no idea though where the previous course is on my device, and how I can remove it, other than by resetting my device.

• Yes, I have all four settings (Map Points, Saved Locations, Street Label and Land Cover) set to Off under Activity Profiles > activity-name > Navigation > Map > Appearance > Advanced > Zoom Levels.

I do recall, though, that not all settings work on all maps. I have struggled with this before, either on my Edge 800 or my Edge 1030. Some maps apparently ignored these settings and showed some labels anyway, even when they were switched off.