This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why no intensity minutes??

Ok Garmin, please explain this to me again. Why doesn't an activity recorded by an Edge 1040 include intensity minutes even when using a HRM?? Surely all the data required to calculate is being captured. 

As a work around I simultaneously record a ride using my Venu 2 which does show intensity minutes. The funny thing is after I save both activities in Garmin Connect, intensity minutes will show in the Edge activity even if I delete the activity recorded by the Venu.

Why can't this be fixed?

• Am I missing something here? I have an Edge 1040 Solar and use a HRM-Dual (paired to the 1040). I get recorded intensity minutes in my Edge activities no problem. Same with my previous 1030 Plus.

• You are using HRM.. we are talking about broadcasting hr from fenix with edge solar 1040.

• As a work around I simultaneously record a ride using my Venu 2 which does show intensity minutes.

You don't need to actually record the ride on the Venu. Just passively wear the watch, and it will capture the intensity minutes.

• I have the same problem. Use a Polar Verity Sense. Some times intensity minutes are tracked. Sometimes not. Annoying. WED they were tracked, today not. SUN not. I gave up relying on that stuff. Same with resting heart rate. No fun.

• I’m riding with a 1040, hrm-pro connected to it and my Fenix 7 idle on my wrist, my question is why both devices show different IM values after full sync. Seems entirely pointless having two separate scores kept for one person. Is this not the point of connect?

• I recently came across a possible workaround: BEFORE starting the effort switch off Bluetooth (or telephone connection for that matter) on the Garmin watch. Then do your workout (indoor / outdoor does not matter), Wait until you see your intensity minutes appear on Garmin Connect. Only then start BT on your watch again. The idea behind it was that if the watch is connected to your phone (most riders do not wear the watch during workout) the watch overrides the time of the ride with "n/a" data. This is interesting. I bought the Venue 2 to tackle the problem with a way too high resting heart rate (RHR) that was basically close to the avg HR of the ride (totally out of scope). Now with the watch in place RHR is OK but the problem with intensity minutes appears. The workaround also makes sense to me to understand why intensity minutes of the ride sometimes randomly appeared and sometimes not. Tried it twice and it worked. Hope this helps. However it contradicts all the statements from Garmin that you need specific H/W. I am using a Polar Verity Sense on my arm and it works (now). It seems Garmin does not fully understand how their systems interact w/ each other. BTW wearing the Venue 2 watch during a ride does not provide proper HR data (shows 80 bpm when I am sweating 140 bpm or more).

• Now 3rd time in a row that this workaround worked for me. Pretty confident that this is a solution. The only thing is: don't forget to disable BT on the phone before the ride starts.

• Now, 3 months after I tried this "hack" it has worked since then.