This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why no intensity minutes??

Ok Garmin, please explain this to me again. Why doesn't an activity recorded by an Edge 1040 include intensity minutes even when using a HRM?? Surely all the data required to calculate is being captured. 

As a work around I simultaneously record a ride using my Venu 2 which does show intensity minutes. The funny thing is after I save both activities in Garmin Connect, intensity minutes will show in the Edge activity even if I delete the activity recorded by the Venu.

Why can't this be fixed?

• I read that intensity minutes are recorded if you use an HRM-pro. Not sure why just that HRM?

• Actually, I have a theory. The HRM must be paired to Garmin connect mobile, so needs Bluetooth. That’s just the Dual and the Pro. It probably also needs to store HR data so that the intensity minutes can be calculated by connect, so that limits it to the Pro.

• Yes, confirmed Intensity Minutes are included for an Edge Ride activity when an HRM Pro is used and connected to Garmin Connect. Does not work with the Dual.

• It probably also needs to store HR data so that the intensity minutes can be calculated by connect

This explanation is not accurate, although the result remains the same. The HRM-Pro is unique in that it actually can act as a standalone 24/7 activity tracker. Contrary to the HRM-Dual (or any other HR strap) the HRM-Pro is capable of counting steps, calories and intensity minutes just by itself, without the need of any other device. It's practically a chest-worn vivofit, with an addition of HR functionality. So when you ride with the HRM-Pro, the intensity minutes are collected by the HRM-Pro and not calculated by garmin connect. And just to be completely strict on this, the HRM-Pro heart rate data storage capability has nothing to do with it.

• Edge 1040 solar + Epix user here. I broadcast my HR using my Epix. Same case, the Edge did not log any IM post-ride, but sure enough the Connect app did pick up IM supposedly from my Epix. 

Seems like a functionality downgrade coming from an 830 plus the non-dual HR strap- that combo showed IM without any issues. 

• X2, maybe a ticket can be open to have this feature "ported" to 1040.

• When I train with the fenix 6x pro and the hrm dual, there are intensity minutes counted. When I train with garmins top category bike computer, there arent intensity minutes. What a joke. 600€ trash. They have to fix this.

• Same using a Garmin Fenix 5x plus and broadcasting HR to Garmin Edge 1040 solar. No intensity minutes recorded. Is garmin support watching this thread, can you guys can create a ticket and give us an update ASAP. I am looking for a software update soon please.

• Here is the answer to Activity Minutes issue on Edge 1030 and 1040 devices after speaking with Garmin Support . It is the function of HRM strap and not the 1030/1040 device. In order to get activity minutes from your Edge 1030/1040 devices you must use the new Garmin HRM-Pro or Pro-Plus chest strap.

This issue with intensity minutes on Edge devices bothered  me for a very long time... typically riding with Fenix and Edge to get the intensity minutes. The HRM is the solution.

I hope this helps.

• This is not the solution to be concluded with. Garmin should bring this feature to edge 1040. We are paying a hefty amount for this device. And we have every right to ask them to bring this feature with a software update. We already broadcasting heart rate and Garmin have all the data to produce this. If Garmin developers can't do it. Give me the code base I will do it. I think Garmin have good Dev's. If they don't atleast give it to good Dev's like me. I am not ready to invest on HRM right now.