This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What about Gradient Lag?

Can anyone report if Garmin have fixed the issue that the 1030+ has with ridiculously long responses to changes in gradient?

• Should be more reliable for long climbs. Also I remember there was an app that was giving faster gradient, and it would display them in decimal numbers like 2,7 instead of 3. Forgot app name though

• Interesting that people that doesn't care about the gradient think it's ok with the lag, and people that are interested in the gradient think it's not.
    In my opinion it's strange that people that are not interested in the shown gradient (while riding) discuss if it's ok or not with the delay.

• Today I tested Fenix 7 vs. 1040 vs. 800.
    The shown gradient was almost the same for 800 and Fenix 7. I got an update earlier today for Fenix 7 and I'm not sure if this have been changed to the better. I tested this also on tuesday and as I remember it Fenix had the same lag as 1040, but I'm not sure. Should be interesting to see if the new version for 1040 will change anything.

Both 1040 and Fenix 7 have the same lag for GPS-speed, e.g. it takes up to 10 seconds until it shows 0 if you do a quick stop (while 800 shows 0 almost immediately). One interesting thing though is that if I do a 90° turn and stops right after the turn it goes to 0 almost immediately for both 1040 and Fenix 7. So the lag for speed seems to be more of a consequence of other decisions than to be well thought out. I think the same goes for gradient, it's a consequence of other things.

• I think the same goes for gradient, it's a consequence of other things.

Gradient lag is a consequence of the barometric chipset's altitude change indication being lagged up to 20 seconds.

• When I spoke with Garmin tech, they were telling me the gradient lag was due to heavy computation under the more advanced algorithm in the 1040 vs my old 1030. However he was not able to give an answer as to why the current speed displayed had a noticeable lag as well. I had also recorded a 5 second SLOWER time on two Strava segments for the 1040 vs the 1030. When I provided the data logs the tech asked that I send the unit to Garmin. 

If the data collected is more robust, and the algorithms are more complicated, then Garmin should have built the newer device(s) with better chips to process the data in real-time.

• too bad no firmware patch or update released by Garmin, to “update” or more precisely, “retro-grade/roll back” the 1030+ and 1040 so as to be as fast on gradient lag, as the 1000 and 820 or even the 1030 (non +) were - in the good ‘ol days

Yeah, some will say - “but but but the 1000 or 800, 810, 820 were NOT precise with gradient!”

To which I answer - they were absolutely good-enough!

• Speed lag has been fixed, which firmware are you using?

• I got 14.20 today and GPS-speed is now correct. You know that Garmin is still rolling out 14.20? I had 12.16 before that.

But gradient is still lagging with up to 15s. Since the lag for GPS-speed and gradient was almost the same I hope that it was caused by appr the same thing and that they will fix also gradient.

• I know that they are still rolling out 14.20 but this has been fixed on the betas that appeared before. There is not connection between the two (this has been sorted out here in the forum some time ago)