This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

saved locations

Could you provide insights or solutions for the following issue?

When I ride away from home, I often navigate intuitively, covering around 30 to 40 miles. To return home, I typically use saved locations and load my home location. However, I've encountered a problem with my Garmin during this process.

Once I load my home location, the device begins calculating the route percentage, and often, it either fails or takes an unusually long time to complete.

Is there a way to resolve or speed up this process?

Additionally, I've noticed that the further the saved location is from my current position, the less likely it is to load or work properly. Any suggestions for addressing this issue?

• It's mostly a map issue. It doesn't really have anything to do with "saved locations". Is your location on a road? Are you riding on roads? Roughly, where is this?

• Thanks for the reply.

In the UK North West, I'm always on a road,  I've tried remaining stationary in the hope it will calculate my journey.  other times I've used my phone and got going on my way following voice directions again hoping will get there in the end.

• Your issue is that the device isn't able to find a path using "ways" (roads or paths that connect together) from where you are to the location on the "effective" map.

I'm assuming you have a map enabled (you should be able to see lots of details when zoomed in to a mile or so.

What "Routing Mode" are you using? This is a setting for the profile: Navigation > Routing > Routing Mode.

• I have it on

• Popularity Routing... Off
    • Mixed Surface Cycling
    • Minimum Distance
    • Lock on Roads... Off
    • Items to avoid
      • Interstate highways... Avoid
      • Major Highways... Avoid
      • Ferries... Avoid
    • Course Recalculation,... Prompt Only
    • Route Recalculation... Prompted

I have in the past just used Straight Line, to give me a guide to keep me going in the right direction.

• Your problem might be "A" roads. Some of these allow cycling but I believe Garmin classifies them as "major highways".

Do you ride with a smartphone?

There are ways of getting routes from web-based routing programs (Ridewithgps and Garmin Connect).

You might have better luck with creating routes there.

It will also be easier to see issues with the route on a smartphone.

=================

The following don't impact (initial) route calculation:

• Lock on Roads off
    • Course Recalculation Prompt Only
    • Route Recalculation