This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Using a trainer w/Edge 1030+, Edge records as indoor ride not virtual ride

I am using a 1030+ to control a Wahoo Kickr v5 to train more between rides.  I love the ability to follow a course I have built or ridden previously but I don't understand what I am missing. I, like many others, am also using Strava as a service to keep a record of my progress and to hold myself accountable to my goals.  The problem lies in the transfer of a ride when following a course.  All but 1 of my rides have been logged as an Indoor Ride and not a Virtual Ride.  

Because of that distinction, the route & elevation data is NOT being sent to Strava - even though the data exists on Garmin Connect.

I am following the steps outlined in the 1030+ manual here https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-D9E9CF32-5A89-4140-8B6A-0A61633E397F/EN-US/GUID-8826CB17-DD0D-40F9-89BB-D93C1E8534CF.html

Specifically I do this:

Turn on 1030

Select "Indoor" profile if not already on that profile.

Select Training

Select Indoor Trainer

Select "Follow A Course"

Choose the Course I want to ride

Select "Ride"

Start logging by pressing the start button.

Looking at the only thread I found on this within the 830 questions the answer was given to say when following that process it should automatically categorize the ride as virtual rather than indoor.  In my case, this is not accurate. It does not save it as a virtual ride. I have had it save as virtual one time - a time when the device was not actively controlling my smart trainer. What else can I try? I would like to see my virtual route and elevation data by having it automatically save as a virtual ride. It makes no sense as to why this isn't working for me. What steps do I need to take to save it as a virtual ride?

• I'm not sure what Strava classes as a virtual ride - however, it may be that it restricts that to rides done on platforms like Zwift where you're riding in a virtual world, rather than just recreating a previous ride of your own.

• Thanks for the response.  The classification is done by Garmin, not by Strava.  The issue is that Garmin states a specific way that it will classify as a virtual ride, but the result from those steps does not log it as a virtual ride. As long as Garmin classifies the ride as virtual it will load the map and elevation within Strava.  

I'm basing this off of the response in the attached thread and also with the knowledge that I have successfully had Garmin automatically assign one of my rides as a virtual ride rather than indoor. forums.garmin.com/.../trainer-ride---indoor-cycling-or-virtual-cycling

• The secret is to never fully complete the course you are virtually riding.

I discovered this by accident initially but the result is reliably repeatable. If you ride the course to completion (the Edge 1030 Plus plays a tune and says the course is complete) then stop the ride the ride will classified as Indoor. However, if you stop the ride a few metres/feet short of the full distance then the ride will be classified as Virtual.

Whether the ride is classified as Indoor or Virtual appears to be dependent on where the distance is coming from when the ride is stopped. If you are still on the course then the distance at that point is from a virtual GNSS track so the ride is classified as Virtual. If the ride is stopped after the course has completed then any distance accrued beyond the end of the course is not on a GNSS track so the ride is classified as Indoor.

It would be nice if the option existed in the firmware to automatically stop the recording when the course completes (in the same way the various Tacx apps do). In reality I can't see this happening for the x30 models

• This would make sense as to why I was able to see the other ride as virtual.  I cannot WAIT to try this out. Thank you so much for sharing your insight with me here. I really appreciate it.  So long as there is a workaround, I'm okay with it - but I would LOVE for Garmin to make it work like they state it does.  Cheers to you mate! I'll report back on my results after my next ride.

• As Scillonian has reported, ending the session before the course is complete saves the ride as a virtual ride. Thank you, again, for the secret. Garmin needs to step up their game with a fix to this bug or at least document what people need to do for it to work as intended.