This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

1030+ gradient issue II

Garmin-Blake

says:

"After reviewing internally, we have found that the devices showing a delay in Grade by up to 10-15 seconds are operating within our expectations. 

For users seeing the delays in Grade of 20-30+ seconds, please reach out to your local support team as this may be hardware-related and may require an exchange."

A delay of 1-3 seconds is acceptable in practice. For longer delays, remove this information from the display. It's useless.  

• No, most user report a delay of much more than 20 sec. In my case on my device over 30 sec. And that‘s the issue. Not 10 sec. 

• I agree, 10 s is an acceptable time delay.

• Yes, I agree 100%. 

• The delay isn’t acceptable because with edge 500, edge 810 ecc. was perfect without delay, gradient is immediately.

• I will say that something is not working as expected.

Even a 10 secs delay is too much in my opinion 1-3 secs (maximum 5 secs) will be fine for me, affecting Altitude and also the Gradient Issue (2 issues actually).

I understand that some data smoothing should be done, but altitude, in the 1030 plus barometric sensor, can provide 2 measures per second. 3 seconds is 6 data, enough I will say to provide the altitude data.

The very long delay in altitude information is not an issue in long climbs (I will say or better not so big) but in short climbs where you reach the top and then go down in 3 seconds, altitude is never accurate. I tested several times. Sometimes I thing that even acumulated altitude can not be right considering the data provided...

The way the Garmin is calculating altitude, if you see the data shown in the screen, is presented with a very long lag, probably to smooth 15 to 20 secs or something similar (my guess).

Example: If you start a hard climb from flat then only after 15-20 secs the altitude start to go up like crazy (to catch up I guess, when internal logic decides that you are actually going up).

Gradient is affected -I guess- from that big delay, and probably due the second logic to calculate gradient, so double the lag.... For me actually gradient is not a very big issue due is useless and I did not use it anymore.

• My observations while driving give similar results, only slightly smaller delays. However, the overall impression is unsatisfactory and if it cannot be improved, GARMIN should openly declare it and publish the real and true parameters of the device.

• My Edge 1000 has no delay issues. I currently own a 500, 800, 1000 and 830. The 830 is the only one of these with delays. The new 30 series devices except for the 1030 are the only ones with the delay issue. I did buy and return a 1030 plus because of the grade delay. I needed a new device with longer battery life but the premium price for the flaky 1030 plus was simply too much.

• same for me . I have a 830 and even my OLD 810 is doing a better job then the 1030+. unacceptable for a premium new device. I have the device since last summer. and complaining about this problem . Now i cant return it and Garmin wont admit that there is one.

• I honestly think we should stop bothering with this because garmin already said it's within their (arbitrarily chosen so it fits) spec. They aren't going to fix it. I'm assuming incompetency and definitely not buying another garmin product again.

• We can write whatever we want. And we also don't have to buy another device from GARMIN. Freedom is for everyone. If GARMIN wants it that way, they can have it.