This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to upload activities to GC via WiFi

Hi All,

As the title says I cannot get the upload to work via WiFi.  I also have a 830 that works just fine via WiFi but that unit is now linked to my son's GC account.  I bought the 1030 Plus to replace my 830.  On the 1030 Plus I have the phone disabled.  With the 830 I found that the BLE upload is flaky so I never upload via BLE.  With the 830 I save my ride when the unit is within range of my home WiFi and the ride is uploaded in seconds.  On my new 1030 Plus it refuses to upload.  The only way I can get it to upload is via USB and the Garmin Express on my PC.  I have tried everything already.  All the right boxes are checked and the correct GC account info. entered in Garmin Express.  I've also cleared the upload history cache as suggested in Garmin Express to no avail.  I suspect that the issue is not within the 1030 but within GC.  I hope someone might know the solution.  I've already spent 10 hours trying to fix the issue to no avail.  The last resort would be to create a new GC account but I only have one email address.  Many thanks in advance.

• I’ve tried many different networks already to no avail.  My router sees the Edge and there’s some data going back and forth.  But the Edge can’t upload rides nor can it download satellite orbit data from the Garmin Cloud.  I’ve also tried linking the Edge to my wife’s and son’s GC accounts to no avail.

• This is my latest update.  The good news is that the issue is solved thanks to DaSvenski who also had the same issue and found a workable solution.  I have pasted  his solution below under quotations.  I believe this issue will affect any 1030 Plus units that haven't gone through a firmware upgrade to 3.00.  Both DaSvenski's and my two units were newly purchased.  His unit had 4.00 pre-installed.  My unit #1 came with 2.xx and I upgraded it directly to 4.00, bypassing 3.00.  My unit #2 came with 4.00.  All three of our units failed to communicate via WiFi.  Once we back-tracked to 3.00 the issue seems to be fixed.  This explains why some units in the field are working and some are not.  The ones that work have gone through 3.00.  This is my theory.  If my theory proves to be correct then every 1030 Plus that leaves the factory with 4.00 pre-installed will have the same issue.  The only way to fix it is 1) back-track to 3.00 then to 4.00, or 2) Garmin provides a fix via a new firmware update.  I will report this to Garmin.  If you haven't tested the WiFi functionality you should try it, especially if your unit bypassed firmware 3.00.

Here's DaSvenski's solution which was posted in another thread.

"Just managed to solve the issue with the WIFI auto-upload problem successfully. I found and downloaded firmware version 3.00 from here:

forums.garmin.com/.../new-edge-1030-plus-version-3-00-now-available

I then connected the 1030 plus as USB device put the gupdate.gcd into the main garmin folder on the device. Once disconnected form USB, it rebooted and warned that I was about to install an older firmware to the device and would loose all my data. I agreed and it installed version 3.00.

Whilst doing the above I also removed the device from Garmin connect on my phone and did a new "add device" setup and then transferred of my prolfiles and sensors from 830 etc. I then selected my home WIFI and enabled auto-upload on the edge 1030 plus for wifi. 

I did a quick spin and BINGO- the ride immediately appeared on Garmin connect despite having the Bluetooth on the phone disabled. 

A few seconds later the prompt appeared that a new firmware (version 4.00) was available. I agreed to update and tried another quick ride. Again, it uploaded straight to Garmin Connect. ;-)

I also tried to remove the network again and manually added it back directly via the 1030 plus and it works now too."

• Yes, my unit was one of the first available on market.

I‘m happy that you‘ve found that workaround. Thumbsup

• I tried agin today, with no avail, very frustrating. I tried with bluetooth disconnected from my phone but the same result. My Garmin Edge 1000 uploads straight away via wifi so it must be a 1030 plus problem? I uploaded ride directly syncing it to garmin express via my laptop today. 

• Thanks, I tried that but it still didn't work. As previous my edge 1000 syncs straight way via wifi.

• Thanks, I have just tried that & it still didn't upload.

• Thanks I will try that. But as previous my edge 100 sync straight away

• I have two 1030 Plus in my possession and I did some experimentation on the firmware 3.00 WiFi fix.  To resolve the issue one must not only revert back to 3.00 but also re-pair the 1030 Plus to the phone while under 3.00.  On my unit #2 I reverted back to 3.00 but then immediately upgraded it to 3.17 and then paired with the phone.  That didn't fix the issue.  I had to go back to 3.00 again, delete the 1030 Plus under 'Garmin Devices' within GCM, and then re-pair it to the phone while it's running 3.00.  And remember to add the WiFi network under 3.00.  Once the WiFi is working under 3.00 only then you can upgrade it to whatever newer versions of firmware you desire.  So if the 3.00 fix didn't work for you the first time try going back to 3.00 and try again.  Good luck.

• Hi I tried that but my laptop said I needed an app to download the file, couldn't work it out?. I did an update yesterday morning, when I got home I checked on Garmin Connect & hey presto the ride had uploaded. Fluke or was it the update? Thanks

• It was the update.  Garmin fixed the WiFi issue and put the fix in 4.10.  See the attached below.

Firmware version 4.10 for the Edge 1030 Plus is now available. This update can be downloaded through Garmin Express or Garmin Connect Mobile.

This is now Live as of 12pm CST (2/5/21)

1030plusSW410.zip

Changes made from 4.00 to 4.10:

-Fixed issue preventing Wi-Fi certificates from being acquired.