This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Unable to upload activities to GC via WiFi

Hi All,

As the title says I cannot get the upload to work via WiFi.  I also have a 830 that works just fine via WiFi but that unit is now linked to my son's GC account.  I bought the 1030 Plus to replace my 830.  On the 1030 Plus I have the phone disabled.  With the 830 I found that the BLE upload is flaky so I never upload via BLE.  With the 830 I save my ride when the unit is within range of my home WiFi and the ride is uploaded in seconds.  On my new 1030 Plus it refuses to upload.  The only way I can get it to upload is via USB and the Garmin Express on my PC.  I have tried everything already.  All the right boxes are checked and the correct GC account info. entered in Garmin Express.  I've also cleared the upload history cache as suggested in Garmin Express to no avail.  I suspect that the issue is not within the 1030 but within GC.  I hope someone might know the solution.  I've already spent 10 hours trying to fix the issue to no avail.  The last resort would be to create a new GC account but I only have one email address.  Many thanks in advance.

• ...just to be sure: you have activated „WIFI - Auto upload“?

• Yes, I do.  I have also given consent to upload my personal data to GC under 'privacy' under Garmin Express.

I really wish there's a way to do wireless uploads to Strava directly but I don't think that's possible.  I don't use GC for anything other than as a conduit to pass the ride data to Strava.  If anyone knows of a way to bypass GC please let me know.

• Just an update on my issue.  My newly purchased 1030 Plus hasn't been able to upload the ride via WiFi since the beginning.  About a week ago I called Garmin support.  I spent an hour with the tech. and tried everything to no avail.  I told him that my 830 has no issue uploading via WiFi so the culprit is not my WiFi network.  He asked me to up zip up all of the files under the Garmin folder and send it to him.  It's been a week and I've not heard back from anyone at Garmin.  Pretty frustrated at this point.  Uploading via BLE works but only after I open the GCM app. upon returning home from my rides.  I don't carry the phone with me when I ride, only my Apple Watch.  The unreliability of BLE is the reason why I use WiFi to upload my rides.  I have no issues with the 830.  Why wouldn't it work on the 1030 Plus?  I've opened my WiFi router's software and can see my that router is connected with the 1030 Plus, but very little data is sent/received between the 1030 Plus and my router.  If anyone has had the same problem please let me know.  Thanks.

• Same problem here. I also send the zipped files to Garmin support (already at the beginning of  december) with no reaction.

What I discovered is that the WiFi transmission works when bluetooth is deactivated on the smartphone (not only in the Edge). Maybe you could try this as a workaround.

Klaus

• Thanks Klaus for your feedback.  I will contact Garmin on Tue. to see if they are able to make progress.  I'm in a unique situation where I don't always have my phone with me.  I wear my Apple Watch only starting my ride and end my ride at my work.  I'm able to do my work with only my Apple Watch.  I'm not able to upload my ride until I get home.  And even then I have to open the GCM app. before the ride will upload.  Uploading a ride shouldn't be this complicated.

Yes, I've already tried disabling BLE on my phone and that didn't help.  Also when my WiFi is enabled (for testing purpose) I always disable the BLE on the 1030 Plus.  I've read that BLE and WiFi can conflict each other when both are enabled.  But this is not what's causing my problem.

I've already tried everything in the world to no avail.  The only thing I haven't tried is to delete my GC account and start with a new account.  However this can only be done by Garmin via a request to have my account deleted.  My 830 works just fine uploading rides via WiFi to my GC account but deleting the account is the only thing I can think of that I haven't already tried.  I'm pretty frustrated at this point.  I'm unsure if the issue is hardware or software based.  As I've said earlier my 1030 Plus can connect via WiFi and some data is being sent, but just can't upload my rides.

• Just an update on my case.  Garmin sent me a new replacement unit and that unit is also unable to upload via WiFi.  I'm going to propose to Garmin to send the unit back to Garmin so they can investigate the cause.  Before I send it I will link the unit to my GC account.  I'm really curious as to why two new 1030 Plus units have the same issue while my 830 uploads just fine.  Just a coincidence or is there a bad batch of 1030 Plus?

• I had my first outdoor ride today & my ride wouldn't upload to GC? I used it on my Turbo Tuesday night & it uploaded fine? Todays ride did upload via bluetooth. Will try again after the next ride & let you know how I get on.

• Thanks.  You can also create a test ride by pressing the start button and wait a few seconds, then hit the button again to finish the ride.  When I test the WiFi upload I disable the phone connection so that way I know it can't upload via BLE.  Please test it and let me know how it goes.

• Just an update.  I've asked another owner here to do a test and his doesn't work.  But a few other owners tested theirs and theirs worked.  I'm suspecting this issue is hardware based and only affect a portion of the total 1030 Plus owners.  If you own a 1030 Plus could you do me a favor and perform a WiFi test?  Disable the phone on the Edge and turn on WiFi.  Enable auto-upload.  Create a 'fake' ride lasting 5 seconds and go to 'history' and force a manual upload.  Thanks a million.

• Just to be sure it‘s your Edge and not your WiFi - another test for you:

take your Edge with you to a friend/business/girlfriend, log your Edge in their network and try manual upload.

(I mean - of course it is your Edge if 830 works fine with your WiFi - but just a try...)

Edit: you can try another channel on your WiFi router. I remember there was a saying - Edge does not work on all channels.
    (Again - strange enough your 830 works...)