Freeze issues

My Garmin Edge 1030 Plus freezes during my ride. The only fix is to reboot it. Does anyone else have the same problem? If so, what is the fix.

1030 Plus is paired to my Assioma Duo PM and a Wahoo HR monitor. 

• I called Garmin Tech Support on Monday and they had me plug in my Edge 1030 into my PC and open up the Garmin file. He then had me delete numerous folders/files (I didn't write down which ones) and then eject the device. He said I'd then have to take the device out for a ride to see if this corrected the problem as he was certain that there were corrupted files in the device. So rode the bike yesterday (Tues, 9/15) and got 0.17 mi from the house and it locked up/froze again. I asked on Monday with tech support, what I was to do if it locked up/froze again and he said I should go into system of the device an restore the device to factory settings (but should go through my settings to know what settings I have on the device as they will all be lost when the device is restored to factory settings). After I did the soft reset of the device yesterday after it locked up, I finished my ride of 35 mi and it did not lock up/freeze again, so I did not restore the device to factory settings. I was told that if I restored it to factory settings, and it locked up/froze after I'd done that, to call again and they would have  me send it back and replace it with another refurbished unit. So will wait and see what it does today. I have my old Edge 1000 as backup and I had started using it after getting so frustrated with the 1030 several weeks ago...and it never locked up. I do think this software upgrade of 10.0 for the 1030 is causing this problem of lockup/freezing. So you may want to call Garmin Tech Support and ask them what to do, like I did.

chrome
  • You may wish to look at this posting of mine.

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/varia-series/157700/radar-disconnected/1132704#1132704

I believe that files are being corrupted when using express or wifi to copy.  ( it should not make any difference really if its a duplicate process like windows)

I had a number of freezes and now I do not.

• I don't have the 1030+, I have the 1030.

chrome
  • Principle applies to all Edges.

• Good morning I am having similar issues with my Edge 1030 Plus when navigating a course if I go off course my Edge informs me that I am off course on the map screen and freezes and the only way to solve this issue is to re-boot the Edge by holding the dart button down for around 10 seconds I have sent email to garmin to investigate.

Geoff

•  I have the same issues - 1) when navigating a course 2) shortly after passing under a tunnel and this occurs repeatedly, so I assume this is similar to when some of you may lose a gps signal briefly and perhaps it freezes then. Here are screenshots, the map screen shows I'm stuck in the same spot for the last 20 minutes of my ride, but when uploading the ride, it correctly captures the entirety of the ride. Call to garmin support pending, but I wish this would just work. 

• Mine never froze in a tunnel since I don't ride through any tunnels at home area. Mine would typically freeze maybe .5 mi from home, then I reset and it would freeze again 3-4 times during my ride. And I was just riding from home, no route off rwgps or Garmin Connect. I called Garmin Tech support who were very helpful, had me plug the Edge into my PC and then delete numerous files within the Garmin file. I did that, then they told me I'd have to ride the bike to see if it froze again and if it did, to go into the device and do a complete factory reset of defaults. Rode the bike 2 days after talking with Garmin and it froze .17 mile from home. I then did factory reset of defaults and then downloaded the new software 10.20 upgrade. It locked immediately powering up after the upgrade. I did a power reset and it came up ok. Rode yesterday for 2 hrs and no freezing at all. Hopefully, it's been corrected now.

chrome
  • I had the same thing happen to me last night FWIW. I went for my first ride in a month due to a pulled calf on a run. It was the first ride since receiving my assiomas and updated to 3.0 firmware and ride was a technical disaster. All my sensors except speed 2 dropped out. I have a varia radar, assiomas  duos providing power and cadence, speed, ham-run, plus the iPhone BT connection kept dropping and reconnecting. On top of the sensors dropping, the device completely froze and even after doing a hard reset I couldn't get sensors to reconnect to finish my ride. I was doing an actual workout with nested repeats.

I called Garmin today and they made me delete a bunch of folders from my device and turn on diagnostic logging for ANT TX RX. Hopefully the file deletions do it but if not we'll hopefully get some useful data next time it fails.

Addendum: I went for test rides last night. I did 3 runs. I have a varia radar, assioma duos, speed 2, hrm-run. In my case, the varia disconnects first, then other sensors (including BT connection to phone), go. Then sometimes the Garmin freezes, and sometimes it gets very unresponsive and recovers. I've found that if I turn the varia off, I can ride without losing my sensors and device turning off, but that's after a single ride so I wouldn't put too much stock in it at this point. I called Garmin and have a case open with them, so hopefully there will be some resolution.

• I have the edge 830 and exactly the same error pattern. Finishing a ClimbPro section ends in a freeze for some minutes. The device is still recording but the display just freezes and can't be controled either by di2 or the touchscreen. Did you get any suggestions solving this problem?

• No, I have not received any useful updates from support. I asked for a general ETA on how long these things tend to take and was told one couldn't be provided. I was hopeful after my original phone call that this may be jumped on quickly but now I am less sure. I have given them my ant debugging files.

I've also since disproven my theory about the varia radar being the culprit. I went and did a workout a couple of nights ago and left the varia at home and it crashed three times on me. It's very hard to complete a workout without crashing. Hopefully there will be a 3.0.1 or something that fixes the issues we're obviously having, but silence so far from Garmin.

I suggest anyone experiencing the issue CALL Garmin, have them help you turn on ant debugging, and then collect the files to send to them when it crashes. The more of us that report this issues the more likely they are to take it seriously and also get enough data that they can zero in on the cause.