This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

new Edge 1030 Plus - my experience - far awy from top model!

Got my new Edge 1030 Plus in order to replacce my old Garmin Edge 1000. Read a lot of finde things in Garmin product presentations but I have to state that Garmin did not a good job up to now:

1. display: compared with my old Garmin Edge 1000 or even the cheap Edge Explore model the display of the Edge 1030 Plus is an embarassement:
    first I thought the display is in a kind of stand by modus (one knows from mobile phones when they dims the display when not used) - however even when Display is
    set to 100% it is much darker, colours are pale and weak - both menues and cards, week contrast.

One has to say it is better in direct sunlight, but this is not sufficient for a n outdoor gear! I thought at first that I got a defective Edge 1030 plus but we checked
    at the bike shop with 4 other new Edge 1030 plus - alls devices had the same weak display.

Dont know what Garmin devekopers thought when implementing this bad display quality to their new Edge top model ...

2. Basecamp 4.7.2 - so the actual version - does not recognize the Edge 1030 Plus and is therefore only usable iwth lmited functions - distressing

3. Garmin Birds Eye maps: I was not able to chose the "Birds Eye" map download-function with the new Edge 1030 Plus - wherea no problem with the old Edge 1000 this function is not possible for the new top model - so one has no other choice than to upload custom maps - which often does not work properly with garmin devices (my old Garmin Edge 1000 often often crash/freezed during bike/mountain hiking tours when using kmz-maps.

This is really akward for such an expensive device: Garmin seems to sell their new Edge 1030 Plus without updating their own planning and map-loading software!
maybe Garmin can issue a statement to this point and a timeline when this issue will be fixed.

Without this feature and therefore solid maps usable the new Edge 1030 plus device is worthless for  long bike tours and especially hiking tours as one can see no paths/trails (forget the new trailfork maps - I checked them for some of the bike locations throughout Euroe where I have biked in the past - not usable).

Anyway I have to say: IF the mentioned 3 issues can be solved by Garmin (dont know how they will do this with the weak display built in)  the Edge 1030 Plus could be an excellent device:for the first time the built-in processor has a fine speed eg allowing card moving at amazing speed.The black colour looks great.

So hopefully Garmin reacts very quickly and change a current unsatisfactory device to a successful one. I use garmin Edge devices since  a lot of years and dont want to change the brand.

Greetings

ProfGruen

• Have you actually used the 1030 outside? The display is very visible and clear on my 1030 which has almost the same screen. The run time is excellent using this type of screen.

• Yep, I wrote in my text - in direct sunlight the screen is OK, but in Eurpe we bike a lot in the woods in the shadow and not only in plain areas with full sunshine ;-)

I fully believe that run time has improved. Apart from display issue and the fact that you cannot put Garmin BirdsEye maps to the device it seems to be fine. However this 2 issues are very relevant points at least for my usage.

• Even with today's rapidly improving battery technology, compromises have to be made concerning screen brightness and run time. I only ride on the road and I never have a problem reading the screen but I can understand your need for a brighter screen. You are left with very few choices in bike computers. Even the Wahoo Roam has a screen that probably is not as bright as you need. It appears that cyclists prefer longer run time over very bright screens. Maybe someday Garmin will produce a computer that is specifically designed for your needs.

• Hm, but you see - they already did and do; and without compromise. The problem is, that they use their bright displays
    in cheap current Edges like the Edge Explore (lower than half priced of Edge 1030 Plus) and they used them in older Edges like my old Edge 1000.

And the only thing is: I just want to understand - and maybe someone can explain to me - why Garmin does not build these bright, clear, colourful displays into their top models but the pale, weak, dark displays.

But I agree - maybe you've got the point and they prefer these displays because they secure higher run time of battery - I dont know.

Just let me say that the battery performance of my old garmin Edge 1000 with the bright display was not bad at all - 10-14 hrs run time without problems at all - always using 4-5 Ant+ sensors while biking and with 100% display light.

So, this is the reason why I do not understand Garmin. A super device, not superfast - but why this dark pale display quality?

Regards

• I think the point I'm making is that there have been comments on this forum about the display quality but the vast majority of users are very pleased with the display especially in bright sunlight where other displays don't do very well. Since there is such a small minority of users who are displeased, Garmin is not motivated to to invest in another type of display.

I think the screen on the 1000 was a different type. I can't recall the name but the newer touch screens work differently like a smartphone. If you have ever tried to use a Iphone on the bike, you will notice how washed out it is and very difficult to read in direct sunlight.

You might be interested in the Karoo computer. They seem to have a bright screen. The first model was a disaster but I read that the Karoo 2 will be coming out and maybe they have gotten their act together. I enjoy my 1030 and I have no reason to abandon the Garmin system.

• Yeah, I fear you are exactly right. Another very experienced user with a normal 1030 told me exactly the same and that Garmin seemed to have changed the displays of their top models (the cheaper one go on having the bright one) - dont know why.

But as you said - it is like it is. 

• I recall the 1000 screen had issues in the rain. I have not had any issues in the rain or from sweat with the 1030. I think the newer screen technology used by Garmin is called capacitive touch and the older type is resistive.

The new Cobalt battery technology looks very promising and when it is developed for bike computers could result in a system that can handle the power requirements of a high quality display and also provide a exceptionally long run time.

• just look at the several reviews of users during the last days I cannot recognize that "vast majority of users" approve the  Edge 1030 Plus display apart of looking at it in direct sunlight. Where did you get this information from? Forum members who hava experienced the Edge 10030 plus + the test users writing here post/ed very negative evaluations of the display.

True, the device is released and Garmin won't mind the feedback of embarassed user who purchased the new Edge 1030 Plus -  but I don't understand your statement about the excellent display - it is simply not correct - every 1030 Plus user will confirm this. Just stand anywhere apart from direct sunlight and look at cobntrast and poor colours of the display.

Sorry to say but it is at it is.

•  Yes, there have been a few other comments about the screen but I think the vast majority of users don't have a problem. I have a 1030 which from what I have read has a slightly lower quality screen. I ride with five other friends who have the 1030 and I have never heard any of them complain about the screen.

Unfortunately, It sounds like the 1030 plus is simply not the device for your needs. I would return it and look at other computers.

• Update Experience with new Garmin Edge 1030 Plus:

Dear all

After having tested the new device in-depth and having had a lot of aligments with other users I want to update my origin points:

1. Display: anyone who thinks of buying the Edge 1030 Plus or the older Edge 1030 has to be aware that the display is completely different than the older one of 1000, 820, Explore etc. This means: on first sight it is much darker and colours are pale. This first impression indoor improves significantly if display set from auto to 100%, brightness much better then, fine in sunlight, acceptable in shadow. My 1030 Plus seemed to have had a problem when sold as after complete reset the display is now, when set to 100% quite acceptable. A bit reflective in sunlight but ok.

The real advantage of this type of display is the speed of maps and responsiveness of the display. These effects are realy cool and helpful compared to former displays.

2. Points 2+3 from my origin post are still not solved.

Garmin still has to enable the 1030 Plus for BaseCamp and BirdsEye: client can buy BirdsEye subscription but he cannot activate it for his 1030 Plus in BaseCamp as BC and BirdsEye menue does not recognize 1030 Plus as compatible device (it is according to Garmin website).

However what is cool is that activities using .kmz custom maps are possible without freezing screen and crash down which I experienced with my old Edge 1000. This helps a lot until BirdsEye raster map upload to 1030 Plus will be possible.

Only disadvantage, and maybe some forum user can help me here, 1030 Plus only accepts up to 4 .kmz files and appx 40 MB overall map size - if you upload more - either number or size of maps - parts of the maps won't be shown on 1030 Plus (maps not shown then seem to be chosen randomly - couldn't find a pattern.) Not big problem but a convenience topic.

3. A funny thing at last: i appreciate the new jump statistic very much. However 1030 Plus reported 5 jumps - longest 2.2 m with 1 sec - today on my 40 minutes ... jogging round!

Ok jump detection wont be easy but this is a bit funny. We will see how it collects data when having real jumps with my enduro bike.

Summing up: hardware better than thought in the beginning - fine device. Compatibility to Garmin software and maps would have been fine when releasing the device, not weeks/months afterwards.

Regards