This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

new Edge 1030 Plus - my experience - far awy from top model!

Got my new Edge 1030 Plus in order to replacce my old Garmin Edge 1000. Read a lot of finde things in Garmin product presentations but I have to state that Garmin did not a good job up to now:

1. display: compared with my old Garmin Edge 1000 or even the cheap Edge Explore model the display of the Edge 1030 Plus is an embarassement:
    first I thought the display is in a kind of stand by modus (one knows from mobile phones when they dims the display when not used) - however even when Display is
    set to 100% it is much darker, colours are pale and weak - both menues and cards, week contrast.

One has to say it is better in direct sunlight, but this is not sufficient for a n outdoor gear! I thought at first that I got a defective Edge 1030 plus but we checked
    at the bike shop with 4 other new Edge 1030 plus - alls devices had the same weak display.

Dont know what Garmin devekopers thought when implementing this bad display quality to their new Edge top model ...

2. Basecamp 4.7.2 - so the actual version - does not recognize the Edge 1030 Plus and is therefore only usable iwth lmited functions - distressing

3. Garmin Birds Eye maps: I was not able to chose the "Birds Eye" map download-function with the new Edge 1030 Plus - wherea no problem with the old Edge 1000 this function is not possible for the new top model - so one has no other choice than to upload custom maps - which often does not work properly with garmin devices (my old Garmin Edge 1000 often often crash/freezed during bike/mountain hiking tours when using kmz-maps.

This is really akward for such an expensive device: Garmin seems to sell their new Edge 1030 Plus without updating their own planning and map-loading software!
maybe Garmin can issue a statement to this point and a timeline when this issue will be fixed.

Without this feature and therefore solid maps usable the new Edge 1030 plus device is worthless for  long bike tours and especially hiking tours as one can see no paths/trails (forget the new trailfork maps - I checked them for some of the bike locations throughout Euroe where I have biked in the past - not usable).

Anyway I have to say: IF the mentioned 3 issues can be solved by Garmin (dont know how they will do this with the weak display built in)  the Edge 1030 Plus could be an excellent device:for the first time the built-in processor has a fine speed eg allowing card moving at amazing speed.The black colour looks great.

So hopefully Garmin reacts very quickly and change a current unsatisfactory device to a successful one. I use garmin Edge devices since  a lot of years and dont want to change the brand.

Greetings

ProfGruen

• Glad that you are now more satisfied with the device. I do find it strange that you need the backlight set to 100%. I have my 1030 set to so the backlight never comes on. The drain on the battery will be substantial when set to 100%. A suggestion is to use the remote control so that a press of its button will turn on the backlight when needed.

• 3. A funny thing at last: i appreciate the new jump statistic very much. However 1030 Plus reported 5 jumps - longest 2.2 m with 1 sec - today on my 40 minutes ... jogging round!

You have to remeber - it is a bike computer!
    Jump dedection works fine on the bike.
    What the device does:
    -it recognizes the beginning of the jump (only if you do a good impuls - if you throw the bike forward when jumping)
    -it recognizes the landing
    -it knows the speed you are currently going and it knows the airtime (impuls - landing)
    -it calculates the length of the jump.

• 50% looks on my 1030 Plus as follows. And this is real dark ...

Can you please tell me how you activate the remote control?

• I set my display on:
    -ever on
    -automatic
    That's totally ok for me.

You need the GARMIN Edge remote (device):
    https://buy.garmin.com/de-DE/DE/p/146078
    ...and you activate (connect) it like every other sensor.

Billiger hier:
    www.bike-discount.de/.../garmin-edge-fernbedienung-270652

• yeah - this last comment concerning the jumps was only kidding for sure ;-) - jump detection not made for joggers - its a bike device

The thing about my display is more serious. With 100% backlight it is ok but how do all of you use it with 50% - the pics are no fake, I tried to catch the "brightness" of the display as it is in reality.

However after appx 2 hrs activity with 100% backlight battery is at 73% so not so bad (but jogging, so only HF abt+ active, no bike sensors used then).

• kurz in deutsch bitte, mcinner1: bei anzeige gibt es 4 punkte:

Autom. Helligkeit, display-beleuchtung, farbmodus, screenshot. Wo finde ich das ever on? Das ist doch autom helligkeit aus (=ever on) oder automatic (autom helligkeit an)?!

Danke vorab

Lg

• -Einstellungen
    -System
    -Anzeige
    Autom. Helligkeit - EIN
    Helligkeit: Auto
    Display Beleuchtung: bleibt an

But I think it will not do for you. Of course - at home at the desk - it is pretty dark...
    In "real world" - outside biking - it is totally ok for me.

• Ok I think we get nearer to my problem: better for me 100% for 30 sec when touching the screen. Even with standby "darkness" it is ok outside.

But I think I discovered my issue: the real problem are the missing colours. I learned that today from mcinner1 screenshots of his 1030 plus.

Look at my 1030 plus / left against my old 1000 / right, both with identical Garmin Cycle map. All pics you sent have the strong colours like my 1000. My 1030 plus shows no green, blue  or other colours where it should be.

Can you please help me how to gain the same colours like you habe on your 1030 Plus?

Thank you in advance

• I am thinking of a bug in the card or the software (2.3) of the 1030plus.
    I have the same thing the card without color or very pale especially in MTB profile.
    To find the colors is to recreate a profile and we find the colors. but as it’s a bug it can come back pale at any time.
    MTB profile and gravel profile photos

• Your screen looks washed out compared to my 1030. Especially the text. When these photos were taken, did you have the screen at full brightness? I think if you did screen captures, it would better show your screen than photos.

Another thing I have noticed on mine is that the viewing angle can have a significant effect on how the screen looks.