This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GSC10 / Edge 500 / Intermittent Speed Readings

Hi, I just recently got an Edge 500 paired with a GSC10. I just did a 40 mile ride, although the speed was very intermittent (sometimes zero and sometimes half my speed). For example, I would be going 20mph and then all of a sudden it would read 8mph, but I didn't change anything. I am pretty sure the total distance read shorter than the ride should have been. I have since tried riding my bike stationary and the speed seems to work fine. I am attaching the .fit file from my latest ride if anyone has any idea what happened.

Thank you, Joshua
  • Check the magnet alignment. It should be aligned with the mark on the speed arm with a 2 to 5 mm gap between the magnet and arm.

It looks like you did not have auto-pause enabled so the Edge did not pause and recorded the entire route. The distance based on GPS data was 41.16. The Edge uses the sensor for distance.
  • Thank you for getting back to me. I have checked the alignment and my wheel magnet looks good. I don't think the issue is with auto-pause because my speed would drop to 0mph while I was riding. My total distance was approximately 36 miles measured by the GSC-10.
  • I didn't mean to imply that auto-pause was the issue. Normally the speed dropping to zero triggers auto-pause. Data is not recorded when the Edge pauses. I was just commenting that there were no gaps in your data.

With the speed dropping out and the distance being short I am fairly confident that the sensor is not triggering consistently. If you can't sort it, removing the wheel magnet will result in GPS data being used for speed/distance. But I would try adjusting the magnet.
  • Thank you for your help. The magnet was too far from the sensor and now it works great.