This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Close-pass sensor

There's an open-source project called "OpenBikeSensor" (https://www.openbikesensor.org/en/) that measures vehicle passing distance while cycling. The problem is you have to build/solder/3D print the device yourself. 

With a raft of new close-passing laws in many countries, can anyone tell me why Garmin haven't manufactured something like this. It would sell like hot-cakes

It could integrate with the Varia radar and activate when a vehicle is passing. In the open-source design, the user must push a red-button to activate the sensor.

If Garmin can build a radar (Varia) to detect vehicles at 100m, surely it can detect distance (using radar/ultrasound) in the 0-2.5m range

Can someone please pass this on to Garmin's engineers. With the advent of new laws and web-portals for uploading video evidence of close-pass crimes, a device like this could be an excellent evidence gathering tool.

I'm curious if there are any thoughts from the community on why this couldn't be done?

Thanks

• How would this benefit a cyclist? It would have to trigger a camera to show the close pass.

• I would never cycle without a camera rolling. I'm a commuter and the roads where I live are very dangerous. I have a 3rd party camera that records front and rear. I would buy a Garmin Virb360 or another Garmin camera if it could detect the speed and passing distance of passing vehicles as part of a complete ecosystem. The roads are dangerous and we need evidence gathering tools to back-up our real-world experience. All of the technology is there already. It just needs to be integrated

• Perhaps you are not aware of the Connect IQ app called My Bike Radar Traffic. It will provide you with the speed of approaching cars. Has other features too.