GIANT Talon E+ Ex power measurement way too low on the Edge 830

I recently bought the a.m. bike, looking forward to using the built-in powermeter to show my actual and average power on my Edge 830.

The GIANT RideControl App (connected to the bike via BT) shows correct power data, but my Edge unfortunately doesn't. I had used it with GARMIN's Vector 2 on a different bike for a long time without any problems, but with the built-in powermeter of my new e-bike it doesn't work at all. The power readings are way too low on the edge. When I cycle with 200W, shown correctly in the GIANT App, the Edge only displays around 50W, for example.

Anyone else with this problem? What could be the solution to this?

• The bug is definitely caused by the RideControl app update. As I wrote above, I complained about the bike, I have a new one. Watts were showing correctly until I paired the bike with the RideControl app. The next run was an average of 10W. The wife has a Liv Embolden E+1, she has never paired it with a mobile phone and the average wattage is 70W (Garmin Fénix 6S has the latest firmware). I have a Garmin Epix 2, when I connect to her bike, the average is 130W. I contacted the developer of the RideControl app, he said to wait for an app update, maybe that will fix it. But I don't know if he deals with it at all. It would be good if more people contact him with this problem.

• Does that mean that if I unpair the bike from the RideControl app, I might get the correct figures in Garmin? Or once I've paired it, is it too late?

• It's too late, I tried that. When the bike was paired with the mobile phone, some update was downloaded to the bike and it is faulty.

• silvopavlik this is good information(sorry didn't understand what you wrote before).

If this is the fact that the Giant update is the reason, then it must have been the exact update that was done in October 2022, because there was one also in May 2022 and in the time from May 2022 to October 2022 my readings were ok. The last update was also in February 2023 and it didn't fix it. 

It probably also depends on the motor type and so ebike.

The thing is that Giant Ridecontrol app updates aren't just app updates, but in most cases they contain updates for the hardware/firmware of the bike, motor, battery, etc...

But you are right, didn't think about reporting it to the developer, will definitely do that and I encourage everyone else also to write an opinion and contact the developer via the provided email onVGoggle Play Store, that's probably the only way to get someone somewhere in Taiwan moving. ZapV

• Just adding my name to the list - I have a 2020 Explore E+1 and my wife has a Liv Amiti E+4, we both get ridiculously low power data coming through to our Garmin head units (Edge 800 and 840 for me, 500 for her).

I climbed nearly 900m in 9km the other day, using 175% power setting (I can't ride that hill without power assist!), and the recorded power fluctuates between about 10W and 120W. With my power meter on my road bike, that much effort (and what matches my heart rate for that kind of effort) my power is in the 200s - mostly 230-300W. My 5 min average for hilly rides on my non-powered bike is 255W, on the E-bike it's 85W (and the effort is the same).

Oddly, the peak power doesn't seem to suffer the same problems, with some high-cadence downhill sprints looking pretty similar on both bikes at 1000-1300W, with the Giant actually recording the higher values. Does cadence affect it? More accurate at 130RPM and rubbish at 70RPM?

Aside from that, he data coming from the Ridecontrol One is pretty much useless.

• For me now, as well as the power being wrong the bike has started reporting a speed reading to Garmin roughly 25% lower than the GPS speed that my Fenix measures. I've given up on it and disconnected the bike from the Garmin completely. Disappointed.