GIANT Talon E+ Ex power measurement way too low on the Edge 830

I recently bought the a.m. bike, looking forward to using the built-in powermeter to show my actual and average power on my Edge 830.

The GIANT RideControl App (connected to the bike via BT) shows correct power data, but my Edge unfortunately doesn't. I had used it with GARMIN's Vector 2 on a different bike for a long time without any problems, but with the built-in powermeter of my new e-bike it doesn't work at all. The power readings are way too low on the edge. When I cycle with 200W, shown correctly in the GIANT App, the Edge only displays around 50W, for example.

Anyone else with this problem? What could be the solution to this?

• I have exactly the same issue with my Giant Explore, Garmin Fenix 6 Pro, Garmin Connect combination. To add one more variable though, on the Ride Dash Evo display I get the Power reading but Average Power is always 0.

• Yep, the same happens to me (Edge 530). I think the problem must be in the Edge device because until now I was recording my activities with the Wahoo mobile app (so not Giant's app), and the power readings were reasonable, around 140W average, or ~2w/kg for 1h, which is normal for a Sunday cyclist like me, according to the tables you can find online. Now, with the Garmin, it shows less than 1/3 of that.

It's pretty annoying. I'm considering sending it back and getting a Wahoo Elemnt, which I guess will read the data correctly, like its app does.

• I have a Giant Reign e+1 2022 and Garmin 830 and have the same problem. 
    The problem is with garmin, before the garmin I had an wahoo and it worked fine. 
    it’s a shame that a brand has Garmin doesn’t solve this issue. 
    E-bikes are here to stay

• I'll add my name to this thread since I've got the same problem with my '21 Giant Trance E+ and new Fenix 7X. Has anybody found a solution yet?

• Unfortunately I can't confirm that. My Wahoo Elemnt doesn't show the correct readings neither. Only the Giant App does. That's why I've presumed that it's a problem with the ANT+ protocol of the Giant bike.

• I wonder whether there are phone utilities that can display the raw information being sent by our Giant bikes over ANT+, to enable us to diagnose better the possible origin of this problem. My pixel 6 doesn't have ANT+ capabilities, but most Samsung phones do.

The power display on my Fenix shows a very unstable figure that jumps around a lot with a wide range of values. Perhaps it's a smoothing problem in the Garmin, and Giant's app smooths things out better.

• Same issue here with Fenix 6x pro and Giant Reign ….

• Oprava môjho príspevku. Giant Stance E+1 som reklamoval, pretože som sa domnieval že je chyba v bicykli. Boli mi vrátené peniaze. Kúpil som ten istý model, v inom obchode. Wattmeter funguje ako má. Na mojich Garmin Fénix 6x Pro ukazuje reálne watty.

• Same problem here with an Giant Reign E+ 2022.

• Hey everyone, I am happy there is a good debate going on about this, It raises awareness, maybe someone will do some phone calls to the right places etc...I did try to go step by step but still no solution...

I also have the same problem with the Giant Reign E+1 2022 and Garmin Fenix 6X Pro.

I contacted Garmin support about it, they checked my .fit files and I sent some screenshots of the Giant Ride app data as there is no possibility to export a Giant fit file. The did confirm the shady readings and said that will get back to me.

I also  got the same stock anwser from my country Giant official representative "if our app is showing correct numbers it's all fine" although I asked what numbers(motor or man)does the Ride app show, he said the readings shown is motor power not man.

So I have been using the bike since February 2022 connected with the watch using a ebike field called nerd style from the app Garmin store.

At first when I had the power sensor connected the readings were a little off but acceptable.

Example: Max: 1800W; Average: 98W; Normalized Power: 145W

The problem I had was that my calorie count was all messed up because the Garmin app took the wrong data for calculation. So I stopped using the power sensor for a while. 

I tried it again some time after there was an update to the bike, no difference, so gave up and let it be it was summer etc...

1. The last time I had seen the acceptable readings like written above were on a ride on 21st September 2022 with the Garmin Fenix firmware 23.00.

2. On 5th October I think can't find the release date there was a Garmin Fenix 6X firmware update to 23.10.

3. Then on 17th October there was an available update for my Giant ebike, I did it on the 22 October.

4. On the 25th October was my first ride after updating the ebike and watch firmware. The ride recorded the values were like everyone is describing 120W Max, 8W Avg, 9W NP.  

No it's hard to find where or what(Garmin or Giant update) was the trigger. 

Hope future updates fix it if we keep up with the reports. V