This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Where is the Virtual Cycle or Virtual Ride for Zwift Users?

Hi Garmin Developers, indoor cyclists, quarantined riders and software enhancement enthusiasts,

Are there plans for an activity like 'Virtual Run' but used for cycling?  I use an indoor basic trainer and use the Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors to connect to my Fenix 6x Sapphire.  This had worked really well for riding using the 'Bike Indoor' activity, but I've recently discovered that the Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors can connect to the Zwift App.  So, the problem is now that my wrist heart rate (OHR) monitor doesn't connect to the APP (due to it's ANT+ only connection when broadcasting) unless I select the 'virtual run' activity on my Fenix 6x. 

Ok so, the 'virtual run' activity will broadcast OHR via BT to the Zwift App, but the virtual run app doesn't sync with the Garmin Speed and Cadence sensors (audible exhale).  Which means that when I'm done my Zwift ride, I have to discard the 'virtual run' activity because the only metrics it captured is my HR and time.

The best solution to fix this problem is to create a virtual cycle or virtual bike app, that connects to all the existing bike sensors, and will broadcast them via BT to the zwift app.

Please Garmin, hear our request and create this activity Slight smile

• Just bought a Vivoactive 4, Garmin Tacx Flus S... embarrassing that I can't use the VA4 with Zwift.

• Virtual Ride is absolutely a must-have feature at Garmin smartwatches family.

• Virtual Ride is absolutely a must-have feature in the Garmin smartwatches family.

• Hi , what is your current setup with Zwift? do you have speed and cadence sensors on your bike?  What device are you using for the zwift platform?  I have found that by using an ios device (ipad 12 or later) has worked well with my Garmin speed and cadence sensor.  For my watch, I use the Indoor Ride activity.  It's important to note that the first time I connected my watches hear rate monitor, I had to select the indoor ride activity first > wait for the zwift to connect to that heart rate sensor > then press start on the indoor ride activity on the watch.  Then I was able to connect the speed sensor and cadence sensor and begin my ride.

• I agree it can be frustrating that the HRM is transmitted by ANT+ on most activities, where the virtual run setting will allow an integration via BT.  What device are you using for Zwift?  Most newer devices have ANT+ and BT built in now, but older devices you may need to use a work around like virtual run.

• Hi, Graham ! I have a dumb fluid trainer and Garmin speed/cadence sensors and also a Garmin HRM strap. I'm running Zwift on the Android app and there are several difficulties while pairing the Zwift android app with all three Garmin sensors, no matter if the connection is via Bluetooth or ANT+. Although, I don't like much HRM strap. I also have a Garmin FR 245 watch and I like the freedom which the smartwatch provides (without a heart rate strap). It will be nice If the watch and edge device be able to connect all Garmin sensors and broadcast (via Bluetooth) all data (heart rate, speed, cadence, power if you have a power meter) to Zwift. I know that my setup is already legacy and today's standards are smart trainers where you don't need speed and cadence sensor, but I also believe in Garmin (I am a big Garmin fun in fact) and I think it would be a nice feature to have - Garmin device (watch or edge) connects to sensors (instead of Zwift app) and broadcast (via Virtual Ride activity) all collected data to Zwift.

• Hi ,

I also experienced issues with the Android (S8) Zwift app , but was still able to connect my Garmin Fenix 5x pro and Fenix 6x pro heart rate monitor via ANT+ to the android app (S8) using the indoor ride function.  The Garmin speed and cadence sensor BT direct to the android app (NOT via the watch).  Furthermore, I experienced the wattage representation in Zwift on the android Zwift app to be very poor.  for example, the wattage output would get stuck at specific values and not be nice and fluid as I put more or less effort in. nevertheless it worked.

I have recently moved to the IPAD and the connections have been the exact same but the wattage output is nice and fluid which I assume is due to better sensors or better compatibility with the newer apple IOS.  I don't know much about why that would be the case but it's just what I experienced. 

All in all, it would be more SIMPLE if this was all wrapped up in a nice Virtual Ride Activity, but until that happens, perhaps my experience may help you with a workaround now to get you up and riding quicker.  

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

• I am now using normal Bike profile which transmits HR via Bluetooth. It records HR on the watch’s activity and at the same time in Zwift on iPad and at the same time in Trainer Road on iPhone. So seems to work great now.

• Just bought a Vivoactive specifically because I thought it would do this. Very poor that it doesn't

• Hi. I have the Garmin Vivomove  HR smart watch which doesn't seem to have to pickup any intensity unless it involves physically moving such as walking or rigorous work around the house. I have recently started to use a smart cycle trainer with Zwift installed on my Surface Pro. However I could not sync my HRM or Cadence sensors, unless I uninstal the Garmin Connect App from my Surface Pro due to conflict.

Like a lot of people my Garmin Vivomove HR doesn't record my intensity when using my smart trainer.

Surely if your heart rate increases above the rate you set it to, no matter what causes you heart rate to increase, then the Garmin watch should record it. Question to Garmin Support is Why Not???