This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Speed Sensor 2 Sync / Recording Issues

Hello together,

sometimes the Speed Sensor 2 missed to Sync a Activity. It´s just lost. I´m missing 3 Activitys in the last few weeks.

Has someone the same problem? Is there a possibility to sync all last activitys or see them somewhere else?

Greetings, Johannes

• I have also experienced this. The sensor is waking up, as it syncs the previous activity. But on my next ride, that previous activity does not get synced. Unfortunately there’s no way to browse the sensor, so can’t tell if it’s not saving the activity, or just not syncing for some reason. I’ve emailed Garmin but they have not responded yet. 

• Hi,

Speed Sensor 2 syncing is really p.i.t.a... I ride to work every day and for me it looks like it syncs one ride per time as it is connected. I generally loose ridings every now an then. And Garmin Connect says that a firmware update is available - if i press the button than the app crashed (Android) and restarts.

For me it looks like timeout issues. Overall i cannot get my rides synced reliably :-( Hoping for improvements otherwise i will trash this device.

regardsm

max

• It seems that if the sensor connects to a computer via ANT+ (for example when you turn on a watch or a computer the sensor is paired to via ANT+ -- no need to start recording), the sensor does not record the ride for "offline Bluetooth syncing". This happened to me multiple times.

• I confirm the same problem - activities are not 100 % recorded or transfered (missing about 1 of 4 activities). Hope this will get fixed soon. 

General question: how long can a break within in an activity be without the activity being separated into two parts? I would highly appreciate too if this would be configurable.

• My speed sensor 2 doesn't sync any rides at all since I paired it with my Edge 1030 and went out for a ride. 

Before that it sync very well via the Garmin Connect App on my iPhone running iOS12, now is my phone updated to iOS13. 

• Is your computer an Edge x30 by any chance?

In the comment section on the DCR review for the trackers (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/04/garmin-speed-cadence-sensors-v2-with-ant-bluetooth-smart-in-depth-review.html), Ray says "On the Edge x30 series (530/830/1030) you can disable [the automatic activity recording feature of the Speed Sensor 2]".

I have a feeling that under the hood the x30 series have a feature to control the SS2 recording feature, either to enable or disable it entirely (as Ray is doing) or to disable it when recording an activity on the computer (which is your experience).

On my Edge Explore the option Ray mentions is not there and the sensor records a ride whether my computer is recording as well or not (https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/accessories-sensors/195031/speed-sensor-2-and-edge-duplicate-activites)

• ,, thanks for your reply, it sounds like this has happened to me. Does anyone know where in the Edge1030 with firmware 8.00, this setting is?

• No, I have a fenix 5. I still have not had a single missed ride since I disabled the Cadence Sensor on my watch as an ANT+ Sensor.

• Same problem here, the sensor only sync an activity if I leave the phone near the bike after the ride, when it switches OFF.

It never synchronises an old activity when starting (turning the wheel).

Quite disappointing, anyone knows a solution ?

• Hello, I have 3 questions for speed sensor 2:

1) why there is only one position to fix on hub? On my R-Sys SLR wheel the hub diameter of front wheel is so small, that it is not tight enough. Any suggestion?

2) I've sync yesterday 1st time the sensor to smartphone, as suggested on manual, and followed the steps for update. And then he recorderded an activity (since I was rotating the wheel) -> why activity saved on  23rd of April intead of 11th of August?

3) I will use speed sensor ONLY together with 520, in order to have more accurate speed while climbing. If later I will need to pair the sensor with smartphone, for example for an update, how to avoit it syncs all "activities", and avoid to have them double in calendar? I'd like that when paired with Edge, only Edge activities are considered. Or, is it possible to use Garmin Express (via Bluetooth) instead of Smartphone, to avoid double activities?

Thx Paolo.