This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Why AUTO PAUSE does not uses the wheel sensor data to stop EPIX30 timer?

Hi everyone! I had used an EPIX30 and a wired (Cateye) cycle-computer. After every activity, I register both data. Comparing these data from more than 50 activities, I saw that the time registered by EPIX30 is bigger than Cateye in several minutes in every trip, affecting the average speed, example: in a four hours activity cateye shows 22Km/h avrg. and EPIX shows 20.5Km/h avrg. It is important to consider I am using the AUTO-PAUSE function in both computers. After that, I decided to buy a Garmin ANT speed-sensor and installed in my bike. My expectation was, with the wheel sensor and AUTO-PAUSE function active, the EPIX30 would be much more precise than using the GPS data and detects the stop/run moments precisely. My deception now is that I have the same error comparing Cateye vs. EPIX data!    The difference between two computers trip time indications is exactly the same with or without ANT speed-sensor. My conclusion is that EPIX30 are not using the wheel sensor data to stop the timer!!! Is there some parameter to config in order to activate this function? What can you say about that?!?! Ps. I am using EPIX30 + ANT speed sensor + Cadence sensor + HR monitor.

• Ps. I am using the same wheel circumference in both computers!

• Three years and no response?  WUT

• This is a user to user forum which Garmin staff rarely participate in.

What sort of response are you expecting? Comparing two different devices from two different manufacturers I would expect to see behaviour of this type.

What is an EPIX30 anyway? All a Google search for EPIX30 returned for me was this thread and a fishing reel.

• Good points!  I was considering buying a speed sensor beause I thought that having that connect to my garmin fenix 3 watch might improve the very poor auto-pause functionality.  

• Can you suggest a forum or way to inquire from Garmin whether having a Garmin speed sensor connected to a Garmin watch would enable Garmin to provide more accurate auto-pause?

• Auto-pause is based on perceived movement or lack thereof compared to certain thresholds. From a discussion I saw a long time ago about auto-pause on the Edge 820 the conclusion was it always made its decisions based on GNSS derived movement. How that translates to other devices I can't say.

If I may, can I ask why you use auto-pause?

• I recently participated in a large organized bike tour (Buffalo NY to Albany NY).  There were morning, noon, and afternoon snack stops, when I would stop riding and mill around the area (with my Garmin Fenix 3 watch still recording my movements), or sit and eat lunch.   The tracked "ride" (when I forgot to manually pause it, which also has the risk of forgetting to un-pause), shows the typical GPS jitter/random movement, and resulted in added non-riding mileage to my recording.  I would have preferred that if the watch was not detecting the wheel moving, it would not add distance. 

• I am using now the Garmin FENIX 5X and still have the same problem, after that, I decided to maintain my Cateye as a precise reference to totalize my trips.

My EPIX 30 is dead completely since a software failure two years ago.  Attached here is an EPIX picture, the first Garmin hands-free navigator, with a hires touch screen, birdseye etc.