Map Touch Behavior

To put it short: It's terrible. Using maps on the watchs feels terrible, because whenver you pan around and touch the screen, it focuses a point and opens a context menu. I don't want that. This is very impractical, and makes using maps on the wacth a big hassle. In 99% of the time, I want to look around the map, zoom in and out, unfortunately it always opens the context menu, which also takes 1 or 2 seconds. 

I also own a forerunner 955 and the map touch behavior is perfect. You can click on the map as much as you want, it does NEVER open the context menu, except you explicitely hold the start button to open it. So you can easily pan around the map, move, zoom in and out, without any hassle. I wish it was that easy on the MARQ too.

Please change the touch behavior how it is on the forerunner 955. 

• I disagree. I don't have a Marq, but Epix and 955. On Epix you have to tap for the context menu to show, and you will have to drag it up, so it doesn't block anything. If you pan, it will not show.

I much prefer Epix way because:

- Long pressing Start is not obvious

- You can not use long press Start hot key without breaking map functionality.

So I want 955 to behave as Epix/Marq

• That's the point, I want to tap on the screen, to zoom in/ out on a point. I don't want to get the point menu opened. I almost never use that anyways. It's very annoying having to hit the back button all the time to exit the point menu, especially since it takes one or two seconds.

• You zoom by double tapping, it doesn't trigger the context menu. 955 can't even zoom in by double tapping where you want to zoom. It will just move the cross-hair if you try, you must pan and use the buttons, either on-screen or physical.

The context menu is important if you actually want to navigate or save a location, not just look around. 

Using the back button does not take 2 seconds here. 

Furthermore, Epix starts op in pan/zoom mode, where on 955 it is in compass mode, and you first have to long press up-key to enter menu and select zoom/pan.

I have a hard time following your complaint, since I don't experience false trigger of context menu and I find the map usability far nicer on my Epix compared to my 955 (just ironic 955 is my outdoor summer watch, where I rely more on maps). I definitely does not want Epix/Marq to be like 955, rather the other way around. I am on 15.76.

• Closing this point menu does take couple seconds, as the context menu does not open immediately, but slightly delayed. 

Furthermore you have to click once on the screen in order to zoom out. The context overlay blocks the + - zoom buttons. It's also much more convenient to use the + - buttons to zoom, especially when doing it quickly. 

The maps were originally like this back in the beginning, if I could revert back to 10.xx I would do that, as the map behavior is borderline usable right now.

• Tap once does NOT Zoom Out on Epix, it brings up Context Menu. Tap twice Zooms In where you tap. AFAIK, there is no gesture to Zoom Out on EPIX. At least I have never noticed any change (had it before Marq gen 2 was released [otherwise I would have bought a Marq]).

When Context menu is shown, it can be swiped away, without the back-button.

If Tap once Zooms Out on Marq, there must be a difference between Marq and Epix, even though they are running on the same software. I tried checking map-settings, but the only thing I could find was Auto Zoom and that didn't change anything in this regard.

The Map on Epix works the way I like it, and in my mind also the way 955 ought to work. Touch to pan and bring up Context Menu and buttons to Zoom in/out. This free up Long Press Start/Stop for a Hot Key. That double tap is an option to Zoom In on a specific area, is just a bonus, that can mitigate panning.

• Not sure what you're talking about, I did not say that it zooms out by one tapping. You have to tap once to bring up the zoom controls, and that's when the weird context menu comes up, hence why I was suggesting to not open this menu by one tapping, so that you can use the map without a hassle. 

• Yes you are correct, that touching in compass mode will bring on Context menu and I kind of think I also want it to. 

I always use to menu to switch back to pan/zoom from compass mode. 

(One the many odd difference is that maps starts in Compass mode on 955, while it is pan/zoom mode on Epix/Marq)