Heart rate with swimming now works?

I just noticed that, for the first time, my swim has recorded my heart rate. That's nice, but I didn't know it did.

• I have tested my Instinct during a scuba dive today. I used an OW Swim profile for the recording, and it did record the HR pretty credibly during all the dive, what I did not really expect, despite that I already succesfully tested it during OW and pool swims. Just a pity I cannot wear the watch during underwater rugby matches, the HR would be pretty interesting to see.

• Underwater rugby matches?? Didn't know this is a thing!!. I too confirm that the hr seems pretty accurate (when it wants to measure it) but sadly we won't have the option anyway when they fix the bug. I 've noticed that with fw10.72, if your previous activity was an activity that hr measuring is "allowed" it measures hr, otherwise it doesn't.

• Yes, it records HR from the wrist and actually is very precise. 

Unfortunately I think it's a bug because it doesn't work every time... You have to open another activity that records HR first, then go back at the watch face and then to go to the swim activity again... It works for pool swim and open water too

Look at this link for more.... Share so Garmin will notffll take it back... The recordings are very precise, I think it's more precise than the walking activity!!! 

forums.garmin.com/.../garmin-instict-started-to-measure-heart-rate-data-during-swimming-activity

• Yes, is exactly what you describe here. 

If the previous activity is something els that measures HR, then if you change to swim teh Optical HR will work and it will work well measuring elyour HR and put it at teh connect app.

Also if you close the activity and start again it will turn off and it will turn off for every other activity... So the roles seem to turn around haha!

Look at this link:

forums.garmin.com/.../garmin-instict-started-to-measure-heart-rate-data-during-swimming-activity

• Yeah the reason is dlthat if you open the walk and then open the swim, it will work for both... But then if you close the swim and open it again it turns off for every activity... Then if you go back to the watch face and again at walk it will start to work again!

Look here:

• The instict works very well underwater. I'm a divemaster so I dove at a regular basis and a have it as a backup watch. 

I made a custom activity profile for diving that shows 'Timer' 'Time of Day' 'Ambient pressure in millibars' (is very precise in depth) 'Temperature' and 'compass'

The Optical HR works fine too underwater, also the descent MK1 uses the same OHR sensor and they made iti to measure HR underwater during diving activities!

• First they said that the elevate sensor was disabled diring swimming because it didn't work well. (some people claimed that they did it on purpose to sell more swim HRM and the stupid swim 2 watch) 

.. Then a bug confirms the opposite and the eve ate OHR seems to work very good... Now what Garmin will do?

How you take back a feature you just gave to your costumers even if it was by mistake?

We actually demand from Garmin to enforce that feature and saying ***... And for sure not to take it back.

Personally I would like to buy the new solar that I know it has this feature by default but if they disable this to the original instict then  I will turn to Suunto for my next watch. I like Garmin products but I'm not an idiot to sit with a company with a very bad attitude and policy.... I want then to give me the software that matches the hardware and give it all the potential that it has... STOP DOWNGRADE THE SOFTWARE OF YOUR PRODUCTS ON PURPOSE GARMIN!!!!

• Hello,
    This is the seventh pool activity with HR to follow (I swim 2x a week).
    So, I have just disabled the automatic update on my watch.
    I don't do as you do: I don't start an activity with HR, then I switch on my pool activity.
    I don't know if it's related, but I've added the data screen with the heart rate gauge to my pool activity.
    I can't access it during the activity, but it seems to force the heart rate measurement.
    So I start my pool activity directly, without doing anything else special, and I have my heart rate in Garmin Connect.
    Could someone test this and confirm it?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Bonjour,
    J'en suis à la septième activité piscine avec HR à suivre.(je nage 2x par semaine)
    Donc, je viens de désactiver la mise à jour automatique sur ma montre.
    Je ne fais pas comme vous: je ne lance pas une activité avec HR, puis j'enclenche mon activité piscine.
    Je ne sais pas si c'est lié, mais j'ai rajouté l'écran de donnée avec la jauge de la fréquence cardiaque, dans mon activité piscine.
    Je peux pas y accéder lors de l'activité, mais du coup j'ai l'impression que ça force la mesure de la fréquence cardiaque.
    Du coup, je lance directement mon activité piscine, sans rien faire rien d'autre de spécial, et j'ai bien ma fréquence cardiaque dans Garmin Connect.
    Est-ce que quelqu'un pourrait tester ça et confirmer?