This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Instinct Solar has the same batteries as the first generation

Since September 1, he has been testing batteries in Garmin Instinct and Garmin instinct Solar watches

The battery lasted in both watches until September 16.

The specifications show that the first generation garmin instinct should last 14 days and tested it with a 24/7 heart rate measurement it lasted 16 days! so it is better to buy this watch than the Garmin Instinct Solar, which in the specification has 24 to 54 days in charging mode solar energy - In my opinion it does not work, because it keeps the same amount of time as the first generation !! Soon I will start recording videos on the YouTube channel comparing both watches, what are the differences between them. At the moment, I am very disappointed with the Garmin Instinct Solar model.

• If you use gps often then 28 days will not be correct

• No. I don't use GPS at all.

• I don't use GPS at all.

Just curious - what do you use the watch for, if you use no GPS, no PulseOx, etc? Perhaps there is another model better matching your needs, and with much longer battery time, if you do not need all those functions.

• This is not relevant to the topic of discussion. Real technical characteristics of the new Instinkt Solar are discussed. However, the actual operating time of the watch does not correspond to the passport characteristics. It is important to find out whether this is marketing and deception, or whether it is a defect (marriage) of a particular instance of the watch.

• "Just curious - what do you use the watch for, if you use no GPS, no PulseOx, etc? "               I bought the watch more than a month ago. I bought it for Hiking and mountaineering. I'm currently testing the watch's autonomy. For this reason, I intentionally limited the use of only basic functionality without GPS. In terms of claimed autonomy as a smart watch, the watch does not match Garmin's claims. Autonomy in GPS mode has yet to be tested.

• For the test, I also do not use GPS and the battery holds the same as in the first generation. You can not use GPS, e.g. in Strength Training.

my battery report

• I'm currently testing the watch's autonomy.

OK, I see, so how long exactly did the watch last from a full charge to shutting off?

Please note that what the watch shows at different stages on the battery indicator is actually irrelevant, since the charging/discharging curve is not linear, and the estimate on the indicator is depending also on the immediate consumption (that varies due to various factors).

The only way to measure the battery life reliably, is charging it fully (overnight, not only till the indicator shows full), and then using it in smartwatch mode until it dies. To reach the 30 days, Garmin claims in their specifications, you have to assure at least 3hrs a day outside on sunlight with at least 50,000 lux (and no window glass or screen protector filtering the sunlight).

If you find a significant discrepancy between your finding and Garmin's claim, while respecting the conditions, then it is certainly a good reason to ask a replacement or a refund.

• A specific parameter is discussed. Autonomy in the mode of the smart watch. Solar charging is not used.

• Can you give specific settings that allow the watch to work in smart mode for 24 days ?

• Can you give specific settings that allow the watch to work in smart mode for 24 days ?

You posted them yourself in your previous post. The specifications claim up to 24 days in smartwatch mode with activity tracking and 24/7 wrist-based heart rate monitoring. In the same time the text tells "The actual battery life depends on the features enabled on your device, such as activity tracking, wrist-based heart rate, smartphone notifications, GPS, internal sensors, and connected sensors". Since the claim of up to 24 days includes activity tracking and HRM, I guess you should turn off everything else for the testing, to maximize the time.