Only english on my instinct solar after last nights update. Bring back all other languages please.

Language after update

• You can add any missing language in the System menu of the watch - the fresh text file will be downloaded as soon as you connect over the USB cable to Garmin Express. In case of troubles toggle the language to English and then back again to the desired language.

• Seriously ? But how can we add language file without Garmin Express ? I am a linux user and Garmin does not take care about us, there is no linux version Disappointed

• I am a linux user

You have a multitude of options:

• 4+ Ways to Run Windows Software on Linux
    • How to Run Mac Apps on Linux
    • install it on a PC or Mac of a friend or in the work
    • get a used PC or a Mac - many owners and companies give them away for free
    • sell Instinct and get a watch from a manufacturer supporting Linux
    • contact Garmin Support and ask them for the language file
    • ask here on the user forum whether a fellow user using your language would send you the language file from his //GARMIN/TEXT folder 
    • Submit an idea to Garmin, asking them to provide a download link to the language files
    • use English
  • Hello,

My message isn't going to be very constructive, but Garmin gives me the opportunity to express myself here, so...

I had and have a few Garmin devices, including a Garmin Instinct Solar, and my language file was also removed after the 10.10 update. And I'm also a user of a Linux distribution and Android...

I'm tired of having problems with language files on Garmin devices for years and having to spend hours to find a solution by myself.

I buy with my Garmin devices a service, including support and updates, and unless I'm mistaken, there is no obligation to buy a Windows or MacOS license on my device box.

I would like Garmin to offer a way to install/update these language files via USB Mass Storage mode or to have it fully supported by the Garmin Connect mobile application.

Thank you for reading me.

For information, contrary to usual, I didn't manage to find any rgn file (French v2.90) or other file type that I could upload on my watch in USB Mass Storage mode to fix this new issue...

Voilà: 
    french.zip (v10.10)

I would like Garmin to offer a way to install/update these language files via USB Mass Storage mode or to have it fully supported by the Garmin Connect mobile application.

If you asked Garmin Support directly, instead of bashing them on the public forum that they do not monitor anyway, I am sure they would send you the file in the same way.

• Hi trux,

I already opened a ticket with the support, so I could also tell you here about their future answer...

I didn't bash, I'm just saying publicly that I'm disappointed (here and on Twitter). It's unfortunate, but also well known, that it's easier to get support back this way. Besides, I never got a return of my previous ticket from the support...

Thank you very much for the file that will allow several French users to solve this problem, for this time... but it won't make my dissatisfaction disappear until Garmin provides a solution to the concerned users for the problems to come.

• I never got a return of my previous ticket from the support.

Why don't you call or chat? I always had an instant answer when I contacted them. Email is far too slow and unreliable nowadays

Thank you very much for the file that will allow several French users to solve this problem, for this time... but it won't make my dissatisfaction disappear until Garmin provides a solution to the concerned users for the problems to come.

Yet, the easiest solution is in your hands. Simply accept that you are a minority, adopt it, and stop enforcing everyone to adopt your difference at the cost of the majority. Sufficient number of available options were offered to you. I am a FreeBSD user, but would never had the idea asking manufacturers of all equipment and software I use to start supporting my OS. Instead, I look for solutions myself.

• Chat, phone... Ok, having an answer is good, having a solution is better.

And I use emails because Garmin proposes it and commits to an answer with an average delay of 3 working days.

I'm not trying to force anyone to adopt Linux or Android, and the fact that Garmin would be interested in it wouldn't be to anyone's detriment.

Maybe it would even benefit everyone:

Note that all updates work via Garmin Connect (software/firmware, GPS, BLE/ANT, SNS...), except the language files...

All Garmin users have a smartphone, mainly Android or iOS (and note here that Android has a larger market share), but do not necessarily install Garmin Express even if they have Windows or MacOS.

Maybe Garmin would even benefit from no longer supporting two softwares, and concentrating their resources on only one.

Even my local Garmin reseller has been dealing with this recurring language file problem for years, for customers who never plugged their device into their computer, never installed Garmin Express, but use Garmin Connect on their smartphone.

I have been looking for solutions by myself, and now I will quietly wait for the support response, hoping to get the file from a reliable and trusted source.

I'll stop here so as not to get into the troll... But go ahead with your "I would have the last word" if you need it. Bye.

• hoping to get the file from a reliable and trusted source

Do as you want, but you can also open the file in any text editor (such as for example vi), if you suspect I smuggled some malicious code into it, or broke it. It is a plain text file.