Compass sensor affected by the springbars

Recently bought a INSTINCT 2 SOLAR and I'm having an issue with the Compass sensor. I noticed that if I remove the original strap, and I leave the springbars on (in order to use a Quick fit strap), the Compass sensor is affected by the rotation of the bottom springbar. I have to repeat the calibration process every time I accidentaly rotate the springbar (and considering it is very loose it's very easy to happen).

It's so frustating and I'm wondering if this is a common problem. I bought the watch on Amazon and it is already been replaced 2 times, always with the same problem.

• Interesting find! If the springbars are originally shipped by Garmin, then it seems to be a construction error, using wrong material. If the springbars are really magnetized, you should be able to press Garmin to supply new ones from material resistant against magnetizing.

You could try demagnetizing the springbars yourself. There are some tips for example here: How to Demagnetize Steel

I like the following one the most Rofl :

Place the item on a hard, secure, non-metallic surface and hit it sharply a few times with a hammer.

If you have some spare ones, you could try it.

• Are you experiencing the same problem?

Thanks for the info btw.

• Frankly told, the few times I tested the compass, it was all right, but I will do some more intensive testing. I will post the result here.

If you have a mechanical compass, please test the springbars with it, and make a video of it if the springbar orientation really influences the mechanical compass too. Post the video here (click Insert » Image/Video file » upload), and also send it to the Support as evidence.

• Well, I wanted to test it, but I have the standard strap (no Quick Fit), and it does not move at all on the axes. It is impossible to move the springbars without disassembling them, and without removing the strap, what I am lazy to do right now.

• Thank you, but the only way to test it, is to remove the original strap (very easy to do).

Let's see if somebody will try.

• Software version: 8.63

Compass doesn't work. It's stuck on same direction every time I use it.

Calibration doesn't help. (or sometimes help for a couple of minutes).

It's one of the basic function. And it's doesn't work......

• Yes, there are couple of other users complaining about the compass here on the forum. It does not seem to be a general problem in the firmware, or the hardware, though - for example I calibrated my compass once, several months ago, and it still points to the very same right direction.

There was one user reporting that the wristband pins were magnetized, and that even just turning them on their axis, impacted the compass reading. Try removing the wristband and the pins, to see if it is your case too. Another possibility is that you keep the watch in the proximity of a strong magnetic field - for example a magnetic phone holder, power supply, loudspeaker, etc.). It could then perhaps contribute to the loss of calibration (or to the magnetizing of the pins).

• I have been trying everything: removing wristband, calibrate on field.But still have issue with compass. It's just won't work properly.
    Even after successful calibration, after few minutes it's start to show completly wrong directions.

• In your place, I'd contact the Support, or the reseller, and ask for a replacement device. This is definitely not the way it normally works.

• so I figured out. I removed springbars from the watch, made a compass calibration, it's work ok. but when I put springbar to the bottom side of the watch, compass start moving in wrong direction. I made the same on my old Instinct and have the same exact but only if put springbar on top side of the watch.