Battery drain on 18.14

Also the highest voted Bug from the beta forum is not fixed and now we have again wait the next few month for a fix:

here some observations that i've made the last few times:

• After a reboot battery consumption is normal, round about 4-5% a day without GPS use
  • If i do an activity with GPS use the battery consumption with GPS is normal - ca. 3%/hour - I have done Racebike riding, running, walking, hiking
  • After the activity is finished the battery consumption jumps to around 10% a day and stays there until a reboot is done.

So for me it looks like there hangs something after a activity with GSP

• Did any of you get any info if a fix is coming?

• I am not sure if I fully understand your question. However l, I choose "Auto Select" in GPS. After master reset, no problem anymore. 

I will test one more time with 2 hours long run today and see the results.

• Did a factory reset and lost 2% overnight, started a 40 min walk with GPS (Auto Select mode)  and lost another 2%. After the run my watch keeps losing 1% a hour or so... So it looks like the GPS is still on and not stoped after the activity with GPS enabled. Only way to stop the battery drain is to restart the watch after every GPS activity...

• Yeah something wrong with the firmware yet they published it despite beta reports. Garmin is losing loyal customers' trust, they keep releasing more and more generic AMOLED watches forgetting about their roots and reliability which they were known for. And this is coming from a user who used to love the brand and actively praise it.

• For your information Fenix 8 / Enduro 3 / Fenix E received 11.64 with Battery Drain and Naps fixes.

, Garmin yes you can, all F7/E2 waiting for your wuick feedback for a fix too

---

F8 amoled

• Software Version: 11.64
    • GPS: 2.08
    • Wi-fi: 28.83
    • CIQ: 5.0.1
    • BMX: 17.0.9
    • WHR: 17.00.09
    • ANT/BLE/BT: 28.83
    • TSC: 0.19
    • Senor Hub: 31.11

Enduro 3

• Software Version: 11.64
    • GPS: 2.08
    • Wi-fi: 28.17
    • ANT/BLE/BT: 28.17
    • TSC: 3.10
    • Senor Hub: 31.50

F7/E2

• Software version : 18.14
    • GPS: 10.01
    • Wi-fi: 28.17
    • NFC : 3.4.4 // WLT : 3.2.2
    • TSC: 3.05 or 3.04.1
    • Senor Hub: 31.10
    • GPS
      • seems to be a new one, i can't find this release anywhere else
    • Wi-Fi
      • Enduro 3
        • version is sync with FRx55/x65, F7/E2
      • Fenix 8 amoled
        • higher version ?
    •  CIQ / BMX / WHR
      • All sync
    • ANT/BLE/BT
      • from Forerunner
    • TSC
      • Enduro 3
        • from F7/E2 Pro
      • Fenix 8 Amoled
        • seems to be a new one, i can't find this release anywhere else
    • Sensor Hub
      • Enduro 3
        • version is higher ?
      • Fenix 8 amoled
        •  version is similar to with FRx55/x65, F7/E2, and others
        • we should all be sync with next release
  • Hopefully there will be a update for the Fenix 7 series as well because the issues are the same... GPS / NAPS / Sleep tracking...

• Doing a short pilates activity immediately after every run or bike ride is working wonders for keeping my battery fitGrin...

But, come on Garmin, please issue a quick fix. Workarounds are a bit annoying given the cost of these things on our wrists. You owe your customers a little more respect and attention.

• I did the same thing - factory reset - and I appear to have a similar experience. The exception for me is that it is also burning 5-10% overnight in DND/sleep mode.

• Updated my tactix 7 AMOLED two days ago from 17.28 to 18.14 using Garmin Express.  Changes observed in System configuration are highlighted in Bold Underline:

• Software Version: 18.14
    • M/N: A04597, IC: 1792A-A04597, FCC ID: IPH-A04597
    • Host: 18.14 (f40ace5)
    • GPS: 10.01
    • TSC: 7.68
    • Wireless: 28.17
    • Sensor Hub: 31.09
    • NFC: 3.4.4
    • WLT: 3.2.2
    • UDI: (01)00860009117716(10)1.1.3
    • CPE: Current
    • AB Core Build: 76
    • AB Database: 1008
    • Firstbeat Analytics – ETE: 6.20.0.4 LHA: 2.6.0.4
    • CC-BY 4.0
    • Emoji font: v2.10
    • Cycle 2409 Eff. 5-Sep-2024 EXP. 3-Oct-2024 Jeppesen Copyright 2024

*** Map Manager ***

• TopoActive North America Map Version 2024.10
    • CourseView Americas 7.50
    • CourseView Europe, Middle East & Africa Map Version 7.10
    • CourseView Pacific Map Version 6.60
    • Garmin Public Land Map v2023.10 Map Version 23.10
    • SkiView 2024.10 Map Version 24.10

*** Map Details on Garmin Express ***

• Map: CourseView Europe, Middle East & Africa 7.10
    • Map: CourseView North and South America 7.50
    • Map: CourseView Pacific 6.60
    • Map: Garmin Public Land Map 2023.10
    • Map: Garmin Ski Map 2024.10
    • Map: TopoActive Canada and Alaska 2024.10
    • Map: TopoActive Middle America 2024.10
    • Map: TopoActive United States 2024.10

Observed battery drain is exactly the same as before - no drama.

I cannot rationalize the difference between the map breakdown for North America between Garmin Express and Map Manager on the watch, but notice no difference in performance on the watch.

During the update on Garmin Express, I always "Check for Updates" and "Sync" at least 3 times to make sure all aspects of the update have been successfully transferred to the watch. Observing the time required to sync from 1st iteration to 3rd iteration, it seems like there may not be a complete transfer with just one sync.  This is pure conjecture on my part, but I have a suspicion that many of the post-update issues reported here are due to an incomplete update process resulting in only partial file updates on the watch.

After update is complete, I always reconnect to Garmin Express and sync one more time.  After disconnecting from Express, I then do what is now being referred to as a "Hard Reset," i.e. holding the Light button down until the watch shuts down and then restarting the watch.

HTH

• @galijn Most of us experience the battery drain issue also after doing a factory reset (and all updates) and stil then the battery drain is still there. For the Fenix 8 Garmin released a new firmware update with specific an update for the GPS chip. So I guess that current Fenix 7 owners need the same fix to solve this issue ...