Fenix 7 map screen zoom/pan

Can anyone assist? I have used the mapping (usually on a hike) many times. I leave it on the map page with a route showing. 

I often need to zoom/pan. As soon as I touch the screen to get the +- controls, it enables a point on the map. I have the press back to get what I want.

How can you get these without a point being created?

tldr how do you enable zoom controls whilst on map screen?

Top Replies

All Replies

• In have the same issue. You probably use "Map Only" touch mode. I reported this bug to Garmin about a year ago and even submitted a video but so far nothing has been done to fix it 

It is so frustrating that I have just reverted to use buttons for zooming.

• I'd say you're accidentally double tapping the screen. A single tab brings up the +/- controls. A double tap brings up the save point marker.

• When the touch is configured to be Map Only, there is a bug, that a single tap at the screen activates +/- controls and immediately brings up the save point marker, which requires pressing the back button before anything else can be done. 

forums.garmin.com/.../13-22-map-touch-regression

• there is a bug, that a single tap at the screen activates +/- controls and immediately brings up the save point marker,

Looks like it’s fixed in 17.12b

• Same here. Not fixed on 17.12. at least on my watch

• I'm on 17.12, not fixed. Definitely only a single tap.

• I’ll see if I can get a video up as it’s definitely working on mine. Single tap brings up the +/- for panning and zooming, double tap the location marker. 

• Ive been able to replicate what you're saying. Touching once when on "Touch on map only" mode will bring up both the +/- and a target. I'm still able to scroll around map and hit the +/- buttons without having to first hit the back button though.

Hint: the coordinates notification appears at the bottom of it screen, you can swipe down on it to have it close. No need to hit the back button.

Ive not seen this before as I've always swiped to move around the map, then zoomed in or out. Swiping won't bring up the target. Whenever I've tapped the screen in a specific location it was due to wanting to either mark that coordinate or navigate to it (which is the behaviour you're seeing).

This behaviour actually feels intentional rather than a bug given you're still able to scroll and zoom after the target marker pops up. It doesn't affect your ability to manipulate the map and it gives you the ability to navigate to and save that coordinate quite quickly. I really don't think it's a regression unless the manual describes something very different.

How would you guys prefer it implemented?

• Double tap to bring up coordinates? (Double tap current zooms in on the map)
    • Long press to bring up coordinates? (I've seen this fail on other capacitive devices under wet conditions.)
  • Touching once when on "Touch on map only" mode will bring up both the +/- and a target.

I've just checked again and that's not what I'm seeing. A single touch brings up the pan/zoom controls. A second touch brings up the marker. Apologies for the video quality.

BTW, I know this is an Epix Pro but I get the same on my F7 Pro. I just don't have that with me at the moment.