This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Night Sleep Data gets replaced by daytime "sleep"

The problem is that in some cases a normal sleep recording is replaced by a very short nap and totally screws all connecting data like the recovery status.

Garmin now says that this is by design, which makes no sense at all.

• For now, I'll probably have to take off the watch when I want to relax, since a false sleep detection messes up everything. I think this is a serious issue. At least, let us clean up the mess manually. 

• Yeah it's annoying. Though it is possible to restore the original sleeping time, you cannot get the original sleep quality back.

• And the 0 sleep score isn't erased in the sleep history on the watch, it just adds a new sleep score, which--for whatever reason--is usually way worse than the original score. 

So now I got a 0 and a 50 replacing an 86.

• This is also what I am experiencing. I've set my usual sleeping time in my watch, but it doesn't prevent that watching TV overwrites my real sleep. 

• I also have these issues. Naps under three hours replace my night sleep and often my watch thinks I'm sleeping when watching TV...sometimes I'm standing in the park after my warmup and it's asking me whether I want to end my sleep session, lol. Yes I do have a low resting HR heart rate but that's no surprise when you're running every day, is it? I wish Garmin had the sleep detection of the Apple iwatch...

•  et al., did you contact Garmin_Chris to be added to the list? You should also contact Garmin Support. The more customers reporting the issue, the higher the priority for bug fixing.

• Not yet, I just happened to read this in the forum this evening when browsing through the open issues. It's definitely a bugger and should be fixed. I'll contact them.

• Most Garmin c.s. reps try to tell me I am the only person this happens to, but very the existence of this thread proves that’s not true.

Yes! This has happened to me 7 times in the first 47 days of owning a new Fenix 7 Solar. The nighttime sleep data records and then gets erased and replaced later by the watch, who seems to think I have taken some more sleep during the day. I have learned to log the data in the morning and then watch the Fenix7 Solar change the data later. I have documented each occurrence.

First of all, while the manual says the watch doesn’t record naps and cannot add naps, only half of that appears to be accurate. It is true that it is not adding the new data to the existing data. but it is recording something when I wasn’t napping and seems to think I was sleeping (even though I was awake and active), and is replacing the actual sleep data with this new fictitious data.

Second, for that to happen means it is ignoring the user preference I set for my sleep time to be 11 PM – 7 AM. Its clearly flawed algorithm decides my preference does not matter and it doesn’t care what I want, it is going to replace the correct sleep times with its own idea, wrong as it may be. That’s just Rude! It should never be able to override the user preference. That’s a bug. Otherwise, what is the point of asking us to set up user preferences if you’re just going to allow the watch to ignore them? Fix this. User Preference should have the higher priority.

Third, Garmin has never done Sleep well. The Fenix 3 HR I got in 2014 once every month or two would announce that if I wanted to record sleep data, it would have been necessary to wear my watch during the night, but simultaneously the watch itself proved it knew I had been wearing it by reporting a HR continuously throughout the night. No matter how many times I documented this for Garmin, they never fixed it. Don’t know if it was because they didn’t care, didn’t know how to, or didn’t want to incur the expense for it to be done. What I do know is that it didn’t get fixed.

I had hopes the Fenix 7 Solar would have upgraded software that included a fix for the issue, but the first tech I spoke with found this exact complaint that you made as far back as August 2022. There may have been complaints before then. That was just the first incident he reported to me. He might have found more if he continued looking. All we do know is that they haven’t fixed it in the 6 months since. It’s a known issue, Garmin. Be better.

Fourth: quality of sleep is a factor taken into consideration in a lot of other functions Garmin pretends to provide, such as training readiness, recommended workouts, body battery, sleep score, HRV, maybe more. Until they fix Sleep, none of those other things can have any validity.

Fifth, the sleep studies I did for my Masters’ degree taught me there is no way to determine someone’s stage of sleep short of recording brain waves activity, so the methodology is just wrong, based on flawed understanding. Junk Science. Curiously, the Fenix 3 HR would report 4-5 hours of Deep Sleep a night, but the Fenix7 Solar reports many instances of 0 minutes, and almost all less than half an hour on nights that average 7-8 hours of total sleep. 0 minutes? That’s not the way sleep works.

Hope this was helpful.

If you want to contact me directly, I’m happy to help. I’d like for the watches to do what you pretend and advertise that they do.

• I agree on all points. If I set a sleep time of e.g. 11 pm - 6 am, then the watch either shouldn't record naps at all (or based on a setting) and especially it can't "replace" last night's sleep with your nap! This doesn't make sense at all and just messes up the sleep data. Yes, that's happening to me too! I do have naps of e.g. 30 minutes or one hour but also my watch often thinks I'm sleeping while I am actively watching TV.

It would be okay if Garmin added the nap times to the net sleeping time/energy level but definitely not replace it. The user should be able to decide - and the statement "Garmin doesn't record naps" is also definitely wrong as we can see from the different reports here.

The result of this sleeping mess on my Fenix 7X Solar is basically that I can just ignore the training recommendations. Almost every time it's recommending not to run at all and then I'm running at a very good pace or even PR and feel good, that just doesn't add up. Please fix these issues.

I'm also available for more questions or data if required.

• FYI the most recent beta includes a sleep related fix.