This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Night Sleep Data gets replaced by daytime "sleep"

The problem is that in some cases a normal sleep recording is replaced by a very short nap and totally screws all connecting data like the recovery status.

Garmin now says that this is by design, which makes no sense at all.

• Is there a solution to this problem? Other Smartwatches register the night sleep and any naps during the day than are longer than 3 hours. Today, Jan 26, 2023, my Fenix 7 SS recorded the night sleep and then I had a nap for 3.5 hours and the night sleep was replaced by the nap. The metrics are now incorrect, te bdy battery is down to 26 and HVR statusis down to 38ms, training status is now detraining, it was productive before the nap. Garmin should reverse engineer the Fitbit which really has the sleep/naps logic figured out.

• I am sorry you had an issue. The current nap threshold is 3 hours. If you experience the same issue with less than 3 hours, I am gathering as many customers as possible with the issue to add you to the tracking case requesting the algorithm be looked into further to improve the results.

• Other Smartwatches register the night sleep and any naps during the day than are longer than 3 hours.

Which ones record naps longer than 3hrs during the day reliably? Would love to know which ones as I could be looking for an alternative.

• Which ones record naps longer than 3hrs during the day reliably? Would love to know which ones as I could be looking for an alternative.
    Fitbit which really has the sleep/naps logic figured out.
  • Sleep times under 3 hours should not record as sleep and replace your prior night's sleep.

However, nowhere is it written that naps MORE than 3 hours erase night sleep.

I had a nap for 3.5 hours and the night sleep was replaced by the nap.
    The current nap threshold is 3 hours.

The support article describes that if you sleep MORE than 3 hours, a NEW sleep period begins. That the night sleep is DELETED, is not written here.

What is Advanced Sleep Monitoring in Garmin Connect?

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=mBRMf4ks7XAQ03qtsbI8J6 

The support article does not mention with a word that night sleep is REPLACED

. Neither for under three hours of nap, nor for over three hours of NAP.

• What you underlined is accurate. Any perceived sleep that is more than 3 hours will replace your prior night's sleep. The issue that this entire thread is about, are issues for some that naps less than 3 hours long, or watching a movie while relaxing etc, is also recording.

• Any perceived sleep that is more than 3 hours will replace your prior night's sleep.

WHERE in the support article is the term "REPLACE" ? It is simply not present.

The article says "track NEW". Not "REPLACE". There is a difference.

NEW doesn't mean REPLACE.

• If your watch is tracking new sleep, then it is new sleep. I do not see how it can be much more clear than what it already states.

Are you having the issue yourself? If so, please reach out to me. Thank you.

• If your watch is tracking new sleep, then it is new sleep.

So an afternoon nap that lasts longer than three hours will NOT erase the previous night's sleep ?

This is how it should be understood.

Because new is new. When a new day begins, the previous day is not deleted. Every new day builds on the old one.

When I do a NEW workout, I do a new workout. So the NEW workout builds on the previous workout.

• If my interpretation of the support article is wrong, then it might make sense to change it to "a new statistic is recorded, which deletes the previous night sleep statistic".
    As it stands there now, it does not correspond to my understanding of your statement "Every daytime sleep over 3 hours replaces the previous nighttime sleep.

Maybe I'm wrong, since English is not my home language, but for me there is no mention of "REPLACE" in the support article.