This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Night Sleep Data gets replaced by daytime "sleep"

The problem is that in some cases a normal sleep recording is replaced by a very short nap and totally screws all connecting data like the recovery status.

Garmin now says that this is by design, which makes no sense at all.

• What shall I say? Today again. I watched a movie. After the movie I had a look on my Fenix. 2 hours sleep.

Anyone that has not already reached out to me directly, if your watch is recording sleep time under 3 hours whether taking a nap, playing video games, or watching a movie, please highlight my name and send me a Private Message. Thank you!

• But Garmin Fenix 7 should not record naps at all? Can someone explain how and when sleep detection should work?

• The sleep algorithm is using your optical heart rate and accelerometer sensors. Your watch should pick up naps 3 hours or more and they will replace your nighttime sleep recorded. However, something is amiss since there have been recent reports for less than 3 hours and not even taking a nap in all examples coming in.

• Let me try ask you or you ask your team. What is the logic behind replacing night sleep with 3 hours (or more but less than sleep) of nap? Does it mean that 3 hours and 1 minute of nap will replace 8+ hours of night sleep? It just cannot be right.

• Does it mean that 3 hours and 1 minute of nap will replace 8+ hours of night sleep?

Yes, it will. When I inquired more into the reported issues with the first reports (the other thread that was locked) I was advised it was "By Design" for 3+ hours. However, there is a clear pattern of less than 3 hours and sleep being replaced for anytime the OHR and accelerometer sensors picked up what is seen as sleep when it was not.

• Thanks for answering but I think (and looks like many others) that design is wrong. 3+ of nap should not replace night sleep. At least if night sleep is longer.

You are now chasing why less than 3 hours of nap is replacing night sleep. Sorry, but that's not the problem. Problem is why nap is replacing sleep at all ;)

• I agree with the previous writer. Night sleep must not be overwritten. No matter how long the nap was. Above all, the nap must then be included in the biorhythm. Because currently it is so that if the night sleep is overwritten, the training readiness is always bad, body battery always bad and HFV status always red.
    Because the clock thinks I would have slept only 2 hours and would therefore be unrested. But that is not true at all.

• Exactly! And then suggested workout will change or even suggest to rest. Which is not true at all. I really do not understand why is so hard for Garmin to understand :)

• Garmin sites say different. Sleep is tracked only during normal sleep times. Naps should be added to sleep time, and it can be short naps.

Here is what garmin sites say about sleep and nap time,

"While a device that does Activity Tracking will track sleep activity during normal sleep times, they will only include additional rest periods as nap time in the total sleep time when the device is placed in sleep mode. These separate rest periods will not be added to the graph.

When initially setting up a device, there will be a request to enter normal sleep hours. The device will use this information to determine sleep time for the graph in the Sleep Widget (both website and mobile app) or full sleep page. When the watch is put into sleep mode, either at night or during additional rest periods (i.e. naps), it will use this information for total sleep time and the nap time will be shown as separate sleep time for that day when viewing this on the full "SLEEP" page. (e.g. Total sleep: 8 hours + 30 min Nap.)"

This needs an explanation. Naps should never overwrite normal sleep time data. What is needed to get the watch to record naps?

• Probably an outdated text back from when the Fenix 3 recorded naps.