This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fast Battery Drain after updating to v9.36

My battery is down to 83% from when I fully charged it yesterday.  After I charged it, the update pushed through.  When I went to sleep I was at 92%.  I use a factory clock, and haven’t used gps outside in a couple days.  I was out in the sun for 10 hours today, if anything, that probably slowed the power draw down.

• I'm experiencing problems with mine too with battery drain with the same watch and it's only 8 months old. Charged it to 100% last night and it's on 74%. What a joke! I don't use Strava either. Are there any fixes for this? I've power restarted my watch a number of times.

• The latest firmware batterywise is a joke. Is used to get 15 days of use, now I barely get 3. We have bought a 1000 euro watch,we can't be expected to reset it whenever they drop a lousy code. It's Garmins job to fix it.

• Updated October 4th, 2022:

The issue has been resolved for most with the v9.36 software.

If you continue to experience fast battery drain, please highlight my name and send me a Private Message.

• Hi Chris, I don't use Strava or Garmin segments over 20km. I've tried power restarting my watch a number of times, but I haven't reset to Factory Settings yet. I've just found this morning that the middle left button doesn't work anymore either. This is extremely disappointing for such an expensive watch and I've had no issues with any of the Garmin watches I've purchased in the past. Could you advise who I should be contacting regarding this as the watch seems faulty. Thanks.

• I am sorry you continue to have an issue. If you have fully disabled all segments or do not use them and continue to have a fast drain despite the steps given above, you will reach out to Outdoor Product Support in your region.

• If you are not using Strava segments and continue to experience fast battery drain immediately after updating to the Q3 2022 v9.33 software update, for any abnormal behavior immediately after a new software release, please try the following:

1) Power your watch off then on again.

2) Hard reset your watch by holding down your top left button until your watch shuts off.

3) Reset to Factory Settings

Fully charge your watch and test in between each step done since any one of them will often resolve the behavior.

So ?

Who has done a Factory Reset with positive results on the Battery Drain Issue ?

I have also created a thread in the Epix Forum:
    forums.garmin.com/.../factory-reset-vs-battery-drain-on-9-33-----who-has-done-it-for-what-result

• A big thank you to all of you.
    I have done a Factory Reset and it seems to be much better.

BTW with a factory reset (data and setting), all my personnal maps (.img talkytoaster's and topos I had add) have been kept and not erase from the Garmin. Good news too.

Edit: no real change, still half the battery stamina.... 9.33 is not my favorite upgrade so far......

• i have the same after updating to the Final 9.33 Firmware.

The Batterie lost over 10% in between 10Hour without Workouts or other stuff.

The settings all the same!

In the Beta-Time with Firmware 9.30 or 9.32 was all okay, from the Batterie Lifetime

• Strava Segment to disable is a good idea but than also Strava Segment complete disable and on my Edge 1030+ I don't can use it!!!

That's not a good workaround

• I've had two 7SS units so far (the original was replaced as it was believed to have a compass hardware failure). The first one consistently drew 5-6% per 24 hours (totally in line with the specs) in smartwatch mode (default watch face on v8.37) and the new one consistently draws 8-9% per 24 hours (11-13 days) with the same watchface. I'm pretty sure I've measured on v8.37 before I joined the beta program with it but not 100%.

I'm wondering if it's possible that two units differ so greatly in terms of battery consumption or the replacement unit has a defective battery perhaps, or is it more likely the firmware at fault here?