Fenix 6 Sapphire vs Fenix 7 Solar Sapphire - side to side pictures..

Hi everyone,

here my two babies side to side.

I've now to sell one (I meant to be the 6 !) but... 

Not tested fully and no training yet but no WOW effect...

- display visibility bad vs 6 Sapphire that was bad vs my previous Forerunner. I'd need glasses by force now ! I can barely see the data on that watch face (big fonts even)

- solar ring is awful and more visible than watch face data and it is then a "distractor" especially for data closer to it

- I love the light grey color of full titanium ring (no DLC) but...I fear it's going to be delicate and will get scratched soon (vs 6 Sapphire DLC). 

- the rear ring holding the sensors looks less smooth than 6's and wearing 24h may leave its mark (to be tested)

- the metal pins are terribly difficult to remove ! I normally do it for cleaning and replacing the nylon strap (I don't use often the quick fit bracelets since more difficult to adjust when I run and sleep). Before buying I asked Garmin whether those were the same and interchangeable and the answer was positive....

- what else ? I'll test it well during the next few days and will decide which one to keep..

• This is why I sent the Tactix 7 Pro back and decided to stick with the Epix Gen 2. Still sapphire but the new display makes all the difference for visiblity.

• The grey one looks great - I have not seen that one in the USA yet (with Solar + sapphire)…where are you located and what is it called?

• I'm in Italy. Its code 010-02540-31 aka fēnix® 7 – Sapphire Solar Edition, Chestnut.

Garmin fēnix® 7 Sapphire Solar | Smartwatch GPS multisport

It's a "pure" Titanium bezel  (light grey is the good, pure titanium too..but not being DLC can be a problem..) + that special leather bracelet. I'll use my fenix 6's straps but I just realize the spring pins of the 7 can't be removed !!! Argh...

• Personally it was an easy choice for me after using the 7X, to give my 6X away. It's a substantial upgrade in my opinion, because many of the things that got upgraded are things I definitely use, and get huge benefit from. But it's subjective - some people don't really need or want the upgrades.

The solar ring is a funny thing, people seem to either love it or hate it. Personally I love it, it doesn't distract me at all and I don't think it makes my watch look worse, but some people are really bothered by it. If solar isn't important to you, then maybe consider getting a non-solar version (which should also slightly improve the screen visibility issue as well). If you still need Sapphire and 32gb of storage, then Tactix (base model) might be a good option for you.

• Thanks! Regarding the solar ring...unfortunately Sapphire brings the Solar with it...

Btw, don't you suffer of being unable to remove the spring pins ? I can't install anymore my excellent handmade nylon straps now..

• The new Tactix (base model) offers sapphire w/o solar, so that's an option, albeit an expensive one.

Personally I gave up on non-quickfit straps a while back, these days I alternate between silicone, tactical nylon, and titanium bands, all of which are quickfit. So it hasn't been an issue for me. I think you can install removeable spring pins from a fenix 6, can't you? I remember seeing talk about that here, but haven't really been following it.

• I don't like Tactix too much and it seems too much a "niche" watch and with small market specially if want to resell it.

Fenix's pins can be used of course but..problem is I'm almost sure by now (by reading forums and youtube) that Fenix 7's can not be detached ! Or better...possible but with a cutter but cutting them in two :-)

• Not that I'm trying to talk you into a Tactix - if you don't like it, you don't like it, and that's ok. But regarding resale value, Tactix watches tend to hold their value even more than Fenix, partly because of the scarcity. I know this because I was on the lookout for a used Tactix Delta Solar for the better part of a year, not wanting to pay the $1100 retail cost for a new one. But I was ultimately never able to find a used one for any less than $900.

• Sure and thanks! In my country there's really no market for it. 

• I also made the step from Fenix 6X Solar to the epix because the watch is better readable and the maps are great on the epix 2 Blush