Issues and bugs with Strength Training

• The lap button forces us back to the (not that well thought through) exercise list every time and makes the other pages or custom pages redundant.  

Timer/Countdown in exercise list is only visible after scrolling, while it could be perfectly active in the middle of the screen without manual input after each set:  
Just put it right next to the static info about how long the pause is. Then you could just put the actual time of the day in the field that can be reached by scrolling. Then that page would be showing vital information without user input and be at least useful.

• Multiple weight bugs with custom strength training: 
    Requirements: 
    - own workout with weights set and one bodyweight exercise in the middle 
    - count reps turned on (because without reps you are not asked for weight even if "edit weight" is on) 
    - edit weight turned on 
  • Bug 1: When ignoring the rep counter (because it counted correctly) it will record weight 0 in the activity. 

If I enter the "edit reps" screen and go through to the "edit weight" screen it will preselect the weight set in the training to edit or confirm. 

Also if "edit weight" is off the pre-planned weight is always recorded in the activity correctly, no matter if reps are adjusted or ignored. 

• Bug 2: If a bodyweight exercise follows a weight exercise it will show the weight of the previous weight exercise instead of 0 as it should be. And it will be 0 in the stored activity if the rep counter is skipped. 

If "edit weight" is off in will always record the correct weight preset in the activity no matter if its 0 for bodyweight or a larger value for a weight exercise. 

• Bug 3: If I have a weight like 22,5 it gets rounded up to 23 if I skip the repcounter. 

• Bug 4: When editing weight on the watch the digit after the decimal point has no "endless scrolling" like the other ones

• If I skip a set that already started, the first exercise still shows up in the summary.   

• "skip upcoming set" is only available in a "pause until lap press" but not in a pause with countdown.

• Changing the background color in settings does not change the color on the set page. Color will be the opposite when switching though pages during pause or training state (as color is used to differentiate those) 

•  Long German translation of repetitions in exercise preview before starting it hides number of reps:  

• Optionally having "edit weight: on" only for free training but not for a planned training would be nice
  • What's wrong with garmin getting the data from the forums? By reporting ideas and faults on the forums everyone can add to the ideas that other users shared.

By Brainstorming together garmin can do one great update instead of little ones here and there.

• These are great ideas!

I would suggest another one:

If the watch fails to detect any rep, just use the last known number of reps.

Here is my reasoning:

- the watch often fails to count the reps,

- when it does, the counting is OK but not great. Typically off by a one reps when the execercise is correctly recognized. Can be awfully off when there is a mismatch.

- The number of reps varies, of course, and the range can be, let's say between 5 and 20 90% of the time. Probably between 8 and 15 80% of the time.

- therefore keeping the last known number of reps in memory would either make it easier to adjust if necessary, or simply good enough for people who are not chasing down every single rep (like me).

For example, the approach is already in place for weights, during a free workout.

• Useful thread!

I will try to contribute, too, after I observe the 8.18 setup properly.

• This very helpful. I would just add that for me the watch continues to return to the list of upcoming exercises, even when an exercise is active. The "rep" screen has to be scrolled to each time. This can mean pressing the button 5 or six times to get to the active workout screen. It should automatically go back to the active exercise workout screen (with reps). It'd also be nice if the new active workout screen also displayed elapsed time for the particular set. It used to.

• All valid points and great ideas but I don't garmin reads the forums, which is a shame.

• This is a wonderful thread and one that Garmin should read and heed. 

From what I have experienced with the strength training user interface, it is clear to me that whoever agreed to the design we users are being subjected to does not actually conduct strength training. 

Here is an example of how annoying it gets: 

The screen shows me a map of my custom workout (from start to finish, by name, the exercises in my workout). But, the time left in each exercise/rest is only displayed really small at the top of that list. So, if in my interval training, I want to glance at how many seconds of rest I have left, I have to click away all the way to the top of that list. 

For me, all I really care about are my heart rate, heart rate zone, reps, time left when in rest (in between sets, for example), amd to be able to edit my actual reps performed and actual weight I lifted. That's it. 

• I would just like an option to disable 'rest'.  Depending on what I'm doing, I'm not taking a rest between sets.

• Are these screens something like we need? This is a simplified illustration, of course would be nice to have more customization e.g. heartrate gauge around the screen, progress ring(s) around the screen etc.