This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Fenix 7x Saphire Solar - Compass Stops Working

Hi everyone,

My Fenix 7x Saphire Solar updated itself to version 7.24. After a few days i noticed the compass got stuck. I have to restart/hard restart the watch to get it working again for 1-2 days, then it gets stuck again. Does anyone else experience that? Never happende on 7.20.

• I’m having the same issue with my Fenix 7 Sapphire Titanium compass not working. This was a very large purchase for me. Over $1,000. Please let me know when the fix might happen. I was going to use this as a back up navigation tool in the wildernesses.  But now it’s just an expensive ordinary watch.

• Good news from my end.  I simply turned the watch off, then on again and now the compass is working.  In fact, the calibration takes about 5 seconds and it’s accuracy (based on compass bearings from within my office then comparing it to Google Earth) is freakishly good.

I hope you all get a similar outcome.

As with all IT stuff (that is not Apple) - a complete reset can do the trick too. (Like with my Edge….)

• Yeah, that's known. Not sure paying $700 for a watch, from Garmin no less, that you have to power cycle every few days is was part of the bargain. This needs to be fixed.

• That will only last for a day or two and then you have to reset again. We need a permanent fix. 

• I’ll keep an eye on that but so far 5 days. 

• I will tell you my experience. They changed the garmin fenix 7 (base) under warranty because there was a problem with the touch screen and the compass was decalibrated every day or every two or three days, a reboot or calibration helped. Got a new fenix watch, but the problem remained with the compass. This is clearly an absolute issue for all Fenix ​​7 watches. The compass is dull, well, either reboot, or calibrate more often so that the compass works as it should))

• Hi. I want to check, how I can replicate this issue in my watch? What I need to do?

• If your watch is good don’t mess with it. 

• You are six months too late. Join the club. 

• (apologies if this is a repeat post - posted this earlier and it didn’t show up)

After 5 months, Garmin engineering should at least know what the problem is, if not potential solutions.  We should be given more information by now if this is a fixable problem.  I’m starting to think it is not something that can be addressed.  

I’d like to know whether any change has been made to new production watches that addresses the issue, or whether Garmin is continuing to sell defective watches.  I’d also like to know if retailers/potential buyers have been made aware of the issue.  

Also, some of us are less than 6 months from the end of the warranty.  Since we’ve had zero updates in the last 5 months, I’m starting to wonder what will happen if this problem persists beyond the 1 year warranty date.