Fenix 7x Saphire Solar - Compass Stops Working

Hi everyone,

My Fenix 7x Saphire Solar updated itself to version 7.24. After a few days i noticed the compass got stuck. I have to restart/hard restart the watch to get it working again for 1-2 days, then it gets stuck again. Does anyone else experience that? Never happende on 7.20.

• Yeah, it gets worse as days progress even if left on your wrist. Sometimes it takes a week or more to start acting up and that’s probably due to micro movements of your wrist and micro movements of the pin due to arm movement or due to adjusting the position of the watch with your other hand like when Watch slightly moves sometimes I reposition it as I don’t wear it super tight. I really do not see how this can be fixed with software but who knows miracles are possible. 
    What I would like to know is if Enduro 2 is also affected or not. I am hoping not as they maybe slightly changed hardware. Like casing is slightly thicker so just maybe the compass is unaffected. I don’t want to buy Enduro 2 and then have the same issue. 

• I was not able to replicate the compass degrees moving when spinning the band pin on a new Enduro 2 I took out of the box.

For anyone new reading this thread, the band pin being spun while not wearing your watch is not considered an issue since the watch is being used outside of the design. When your watch is worn with the band tightened properly, the band pin will not spin.

• When your watch is worn with the band tightened properly, the band pin will not spin.

Still waiting for the folk who would have us believe the pin spins during normal use to demonstrate or explain how.

• True, but many of us are removing their watch once or twice a day. Swapping with Quickfit bands also spun the pin, so the compass needs to be calibrated again. That's the purpose of Quickfit, choosing different bands depending on the event of the day. 

It didn't happen on the fenix 6x. So what are we supposed to do, keep wearing the watch, not leaving it for a minute, not swapping bands ?
  • To be clear: the spinning band pin itself is not considered as an issue, but that the compass decalibrates when the pin spins is hopefully still considered as an issue? And where it's documented that I have to wear the watch during night to use a constantly calibrated compass the next day? Will this issue be ever resolved by an update or will Garmin replace the devices?

• Swapping with Quickfit bands also spun the pin,

How? At best there might be a small movement of the pin but that hardly constitutes spinning.

spinning band pin itself is not considered as an issue,

it is by some. But obviously that still does not get away from the fact that the F7 needs overly frequent compass calibration.

• Grab your watch in your hand (not on your wrist).  Let the watch band hang limp so it's pointing to the floor. Point your watch to NORTH.  While keeping the watch pointed North lift the watch band up so its level with the floor. Does your declination change?  Mine changed 40 degrees!!!  I  was shocked. 

•  And this has what to do with spinning pins? And after you do your little test and calibrate? We know there's issues with the compass during normal use. Garmin know there's issues with the compass during normal use. And as long as a calibration fixes the compass then there is no problem, at least temporarily. What everybody wants is a permanent fix that does not require constant recalibration of the compass. Although that said, some would say a digital compass should be calibrated before each use.

As a side comment, have a look at the problems other watches are having with compass calibration and use too. It's not just Garmin.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Coros/comments/wvvehd/problem_with_compass/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Suunto/comments/l47xfz/compass_issue/

Not that that matters of course as we're only interested in a fix for our watch aren't we?

• I'm not getting into spinning pins but moving the watch band, which probably moves metal...(pins?), affects the compass.  Many people use their compass in conjunction with a map so  the watch isnt on their wrist. Let's not be condescending. THIS IS NORMAL USE. the compass declination is not consistent when the watch band is moved...as if you're moving it around a paper map or using it handheld.  

• Finally got the 9.33 update this morning. Calibrated the compass was working. Several hours later checked the compass out again and it was back to being all over the place. The plus is as stated in other posts that I didn’t have to turn it off/on to calibrate. 
    On a side note I know it’s the sapphire but does anyone use a screen protector on theirs? Had the 5 sapphire w/ protector and never messed up the screen between rock/ice climbing and bouncing around the mountains.