This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Delete Golf Maps

Just got my F7X SS, Its fantastic but I am trying to delete maps I don't want.
GE wont let me delete the golf maps. !!! Why not ?, it says these are needed for the device to operate correctly ?.
What rubbish, I dont play golf, never will so WTF do I need gold maps on the watch.
Come on Garmin, why do I need golf maps on my watch !!!!!

Comment
  • Can we can an official stand on this? Is it in fact safe to delete it directly, will Garmin let us do this through GE? Thanks

• for some mad reason your cant delete the golf maps via GE, it says they are required for proper operation of the device.

What nonsense, why on earth are golf maps required for proper operation.

I don't play golf, I never will, and I don't want 3.4% of my memory taken up with pointless golf course maps.

I think its probably an oversight in GE that you cant delete them, but who knows. Anyway I deleted them manually, GE recognises the fact they are not there, and appears happy about it, and the watch works ok.

of course DYOR but so far I am happy.

• Can we can an official stand on this? Is it in fact safe to delete it directly, will Garmin let us do this through GE?

Garmin Express is currently designed to compare what is on your watch and then send your watch a new software update or map update when a newer version is available.

Can you safely delete a map since Garmin Express does not give you the option to delete a specific map for you? Yes, but at the own risk of accidentally ruining your watch. It is not recommended.

• So is there a way to delete golf maps without any risk?

• thanks for that. Obviously a Garmin employee wont sanction doing something that technically GE stops you doing. They cant. Doesn't mean to say, its not perfectly safe to do so.

As I said I ran GE and synced the watch and it did not replace the 3 golf maps.

But when looking at the GE manage maps page, the map tick boxes were clear confirming the GE knows the maps are not present on the device and it gave me the option of ticking the boxes if I wanted to, which if I did, I assume that GE would then reinstall them on the watch.

Please Garmin, fix GE so golf maps either have to be manually selected to be installed, or change the logic so a user can untick the boxes and remove them.

A vast number of your users don't play golf and never will.

Also Garmin why on earth can you select/deselect all the other regional maps and ski map but not golf maps. (it doesn't make any sense and is not consistent)

• delete them manually like I did. It works fine

• Not when official Garmin stance is not to do it…

• well don't then.

Progress is never made in any field without taking a little risk.

Personally I think not being able to delete the golf maps is something that was forgotten when the latest version of GE was released.

It doesn't make any logical sense that a golf map is required for the device to work correctly. I have been a software developer for over 30 years and unless the maps actually contain "other system" data (in which case its a terrible design), then there should be no reason why they cant be deleted.

anyway, you do what you must do.

• The risk that should not be put on the customer. I will wait for direct solution by Garmin. Hopefully one will be presented soon.