Cannot pair Fenix 7X Sapphire to Garmin Connect (Android or iOS)

Hello,

I just received my fenix 7X Sapphire and tried to add it to Garmin Connect on Android, but right out of the box, the watch and app could not find each other.  This is with Garmin Connect (latest version downloaded from the Play Store as of February 4, 2022) on a Galaxy Z Fold 2.

I figured that the watch firmware might need some updating (it was 6.x something), so I used the charge and sync cable to try to update the software via Garmin Express on PC.  The watch was able to receive an update to 7.20, which I then installed.  However, Garmin Connect and the watch still could not find each other.

I tried the same thing on another phone (a Pixel 6) with a fresh install of Garmin Connect and the 7.20 watch firmware, but it also had the same problem - the watch and app could not find each other.

I then tried the same thing on an iPhone (a 13 Pro Max) with a fresh install of Garmin Connect and also the same watch firmware, and it also had the same problem - the watch and app could not find each other.

The unusual thing is that on Android, if I set the watch to Pairing mode, the phone is able to see the fenix 7X and make a request to pair, and the watch responds by showing a six-digit pairing code.  Pairing is successful if I enter the code on the phone, but the Garmin Connect app still can't see it.  However, when I try the same thing on iOS, the iPhone's Bluetooth scan can't see the fenix 7X when it is in pairing mode.

Is anyone else having issues pairing their fenix 7X (or 7 series) to Garmin Connect?  This is a very frustrating issue to have with such an expensive watch!

• The 7.24 firmware update appeared on Garmin Express on my PC, so I updated the watch to 7.24 using the USB cable.  It updated successfully and showed 7.24 was installed.

Then I completely hard reset the watch, removed it from Garmin Connect on the web, uninstalled Garmin Connect from my phone, restarted my phone, and reinstalled a new copy of Garmin Connect.  I tried the pairing process.

The watch and Garmin Connect app still cannot find each other.

This watch is going back for a return and refund.

Garmin, after more than 10 years of ownership and using half a dozen of your devices without issue, this is extremely, extremely disappointing for a brand new USD 1300 watch (I have the version with the Titanium bracelet).

Potential buyers beware.  I'd stay away from this new product series until Garmin gets its Quality Control sorted out.

• have you tried Garmin support instead of a user forum? would be my first port of call

• Hello, 

I had exactly the same problem.
    the update to the new firmware helped me
    It is version 7.35 beta
    here's how to install

forums.garmin.com/.../fenix-7-series---software-version-7-35---public-release- candidate

now everything works :-)

• Can you see the device if you just go to settings/bluetooth in your android menu?

I had the same problem, but could see my 7X solar sapphire there in the android bluetooth menu, but not in the garmin connect app.

After messing about I discovered the garmin app is very picky about you internet settings, dns, vpn...

I use cloudflare dns 1.1.1.1 and for some reason the garmin app hates that.

TLDR: Turn off your wifi and see if that works. (Or use another network)

For that solved the issue instantly :-)

• Hi there - same issue, what was your solution ?

Thanks

• I LITTERALY RAN INTO THE SAME SITUATION. I TRIED EVERYTHING!! BUT what worked, is if you go to settings. (Iphone) go to the search bar and type Bluetooth. now bluetooth sharing will pop up. click it and tap on the garmin selection. and there ya go!

• I used Garmin Express to update the software - first my Mac wouldn't detect the watch with the USB. You have to change the setting to USB on the watch: 

MENU-Key >Enter Setting >USB mode >Mass Storage

I was able to update the software, but it still wouldn't pair. This is the response I received from tech support, and it worked. I was able to pair:

"According to the S/N of your device, it is sold out of JAPAN. We call it International device.

The cause of this might be the account settings that does not match to the device region.

If you live in Japan but the Garmin device is also a International version, the account setting of Garmin Connect should be set to US or UK as well."

1. Sign out from Garmin Connect Mobile

2. Tap on "Advanced Settings" under "Sign in" 

3. Select "US or UK"

4. Select "Sign In" and proceed all the way until you go to "My day page". (You can skip the pairing page which will appear after sign in.) 

5. Open Menu, More > Settings > Profile & Privacy > Manage Garmin Account > Sign in > Check if the "Location" is "US or UK"

If not, Edit > Location > "US or UK" > Save

6.Sign out from your account and enter "Advanced-Setting"  under Sign-In-icon on the top screen of Garmin Connect APP.

7.Select "US or UK"

8.  Restart your smartphone and re-launch Garmin Connect Mobile> Open the device selection screen for pairing. The "Fenix7" international series will be displayed.

9.  Pair the device checking the instructions on the screen.

• Finnally it works!! thanks for the solution!!

• Fought with this same issue for some time. Follow these directions based on device location solved the issue for me too. Thanks!

• Same here. This took me hours. Not a nice start to an expensive new product :( Garmin - please detect and fix this, I almost took it back!