Cannot pair Fenix 7X Sapphire to Garmin Connect (Android or iOS)

Hello,

I just received my fenix 7X Sapphire and tried to add it to Garmin Connect on Android, but right out of the box, the watch and app could not find each other.  This is with Garmin Connect (latest version downloaded from the Play Store as of February 4, 2022) on a Galaxy Z Fold 2.

I figured that the watch firmware might need some updating (it was 6.x something), so I used the charge and sync cable to try to update the software via Garmin Express on PC.  The watch was able to receive an update to 7.20, which I then installed.  However, Garmin Connect and the watch still could not find each other.

I tried the same thing on another phone (a Pixel 6) with a fresh install of Garmin Connect and the 7.20 watch firmware, but it also had the same problem - the watch and app could not find each other.

I then tried the same thing on an iPhone (a 13 Pro Max) with a fresh install of Garmin Connect and also the same watch firmware, and it also had the same problem - the watch and app could not find each other.

The unusual thing is that on Android, if I set the watch to Pairing mode, the phone is able to see the fenix 7X and make a request to pair, and the watch responds by showing a six-digit pairing code.  Pairing is successful if I enter the code on the phone, but the Garmin Connect app still can't see it.  However, when I try the same thing on iOS, the iPhone's Bluetooth scan can't see the fenix 7X when it is in pairing mode.

Is anyone else having issues pairing their fenix 7X (or 7 series) to Garmin Connect?  This is a very frustrating issue to have with such an expensive watch!

• Sorry, I also forgot to mention that I reset the watch to factory settings several times, but this did not help.  Also, I reinstalled the Garmin Connect app on my Fold 2 and it also did not help.

I am able to get the watch to connect to WiFi, but obviously this is not the most optimal usage of the watch's connectivity...

• Does anyone have the same experience and could solve this issue?

If not, then my watch is defective and I need to get a return.  That would be disappointing and I might just get a refund instead of a replacement, and give up on this watch after such a poor experience for such an expensive product.

• Have you tried connecting it to Garmin Connect on the website via your computer?

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago

Go to the Bluetooth settings on all the phones you tried to pair it with and remove it from the Bluetooth settings. Once none of your phones have the watch in the Bluetooth settings, then turn off Bluetooth on all the phones except for the one you want to pair it with, then try pairing it with that phone.

• Yes, when I use a USB cable and Garmin Express, I can get it to sync with Garmin Connect (the website).  I am also able to update the firmware and maps to the latest version.

But pairing the watch with multiple Android phones and an iPhone doesn't work at all, even though the Android phone can see the device in the Bluetooth menu (whereas the iPhone cannot, for some reason).

• I tried this, but it didn't make a difference.  The watch still isn't able to pair with my primary Android phone.  This is even though it is visible in the Bluetooth menu and I am able to pair it with a six digit code manually.  Once I do that manual pairing, Garmin Connect still can't see the watch.

This is incredibly frustrating!  Given that an Android phone can see the watch through the Bluetooth menu (not sure why it does not show up on the iPhone's Bluetooth menu) and pair it manually, it seems like there is some kind of software issue with the watch or Garmin Connect.  But this is such a basic function that I cannot believe it does not work out of the box.

I also am surprised that no one has reported the same problem.  So that also makes me wonder if it is a problem with my individual unit.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 2 years ago in reply to lch106

Pretty sure it's because you are trying to pair it to more than one phone. The fenix will only pair with one phone at a time. You must unpair it in the bluetooth settings on all phones, turn the bluetooth off on all the phones but the one you want to pair it to, then pair it to that phone. Also remove it from garmin connect on all phones first.

• Thanks for your reply.

First of all, immediately out of the box, I wasn't able to pair the watch with any phone using the Garmin Connect app.  I only tried using the Bluetooth menu after I couldn't get Garmin Connect to find the watch, in order to check if the watch was even sending out a Bluetooth pairing signal.  And when I ran that test to pair the watch and my phone using Android's Bluetooth menu, I only paired the watch to my primary phone in that way (which didn't work as Garmin Connect still couldn't find the watch).

Anyway, I tried what you suggested, i.e.

1. Removed any manual pairing of the watch from all phones (as I mentioned, only one phone had it manually paired for testing, and also I have not been able to pair the watch with any phone using the Garmin Connect app).

2. Removed the Garmin Connect app on every phone, and shut off all other phones except the primary phone I want to use the watch with.

3. I reset the watch to factory settings by doing a hard reset.

4. Restarted the primary phone, reinstalled the Garmin Connect app, and retried pairing the watch with Garmin Connect.

The above doesn't work at all.  Garmin Connect and the watch still aren't able to find each other.

I really think there is something wrong with the watch...it would be helpful if someone from Garmin could chime in here any confirm if this is a known issue or not, or if there is indeed something wrong with my individual unit!

• One other thing I wanted to add - I have been a Garmin user for over 10 years and started with the Forerunner 110 (straps broke), and have gone through at least 5 watches during that period of time.  So I'm very familiar with how Garmin Connect works and it usually finds the watch instantaneously when you search for it.  Therefore, something definitely feels wrong with this watch and/or software!

• Just saw the 7.24 software release notice.  It's not showing up on my Garmin Express yet, but perhaps it will fix this pairing issue?!?  (It doesn't mention anything in the release notes.)  Will try it as soon as it's available.

Would be great if someone from Garmin could please let me know if it will solve the problem or not!