Dear, Garmin, please read in regards to sleep mode on Fenix 7

Dear, Garmin, please make sleep mode to activate only when the watch determines you are actually sleeping like on Fenix 6 series and not like it is now as it activates based on times you set that you sleep. The schedule changes all the time and with series 6 it was never a problem but with series 7 as soon as the watch hits the set before sleep time for the day it stops activating wrist gesture and notifications backlight and there is no control over it. Please adjust it in the next beta. 

• I second this (Epix 2 here);

Even manually stopping sleep mode results in an automatic reactivation a few minutes later.

• Agreed, it would be nice to have both options, either scheduled or automatic activation

• Good to know as this is a major reason for me not to go and buy a fenix 7.

• Sleep mode simply puts the watch into DND mode and turns the touchscreen off based on a schedule you set.  It has absolutely nothing to do with detecting your sleep; that part works the same as it always has. 

• But on the 6 you could turn that off, so noting changes in the "sleep window".

• You can turn off DND for Sleep on the fenix 7 in the settings->System menu. I am struggling to understand everyone's concern with this. Regardless of DND your watch will auto catalog your sleep like always. Garmin has just approached the way the watch behaves when you sleep such as a new watch faces, turning off the touchscreen etc. The "sleep window" is there to turn off distractions like notifications, when to turn on your sleep watch face, etc. It does not affect sleep auto detection. 

• Well if I don't want distractions I just disconnect the the phone. But I do want to get notifications if I'm active in my sleep window from time to time without thinking about that after a specific time it wont work anymore and I have to check manually.

Don't have my 7 yet, but if its no more notifications in the sleepwindow instead of only if DND mode is active (that I never used), that's annoying.

• Within the Sleep mode settings you can turn off DND so it will not be an issue for you. Here is the setting for you to see. https://imgur.com/gallery/rCPhx0U You can still manage individual notifications as you can on the fenix 6. 

• Forgett it. Garmin is driven by old school people who are scared about new things. Firstbeat anylses can do that, garmin wont. Its a shame, but this is what garmin offers. I did not understand why they cant do this in software. 

• Hi ,

The Fenix 7 and Epix watches offer some settings that I believe will help improve your experience.

First, after you have updated to v7.20, you will be able to set Nightly sleep schedules. This will help for users who start sleep at different times on different days: Monday night you can have the sleep schedule set to begin at 10:00 PM, and on Tuesday night you can set it for 4 AM, etc. This will help for users with variable schedules. Check the settings under Menu - System - Sleep Mode - Schedule. (Please note that support for editing Sleep Windows in Garmin Connect is pending: it will be available soon.)

Additionally, the Power Controls Menu (the options under the Light/Power button) have an optional setting for Sleep Mode. The icon looks like a moon with "Zz." With this option, you can easily toggle on and off Sleep Mode. This will be useful for users who occasionally have nights that do not follow their set Sleep Windows. To add this to the Controls Menu, open the menu by holding the Power button.  Then press-and-hold Menu, and then select Add Controls.

Please note that this Sleep Mode toggle refers to the watch's behavior when it enters Sleep Mode: the screen dimming, the touchscreen potentially disabling, Do Not Disturb potentially activating (all following however you have personalized your Sleep Mode settings.) Meaning that even if you disable the Sleep Mode appearance/behavior toggle, the watch will still start tracking your sleep if it detects that you have fallen asleep. And in the same logic: even if Sleep Mode is enabled outside of when you are actually asleep - Sleep data itself will not track unless the watch detects that you are actually asleep.

Thanks,
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor Quality Team