Dear, Garmin, please read in regards to sleep mode on Fenix 7

Dear, Garmin, please make sleep mode to activate only when the watch determines you are actually sleeping like on Fenix 6 series and not like it is now as it activates based on times you set that you sleep. The schedule changes all the time and with series 6 it was never a problem but with series 7 as soon as the watch hits the set before sleep time for the day it stops activating wrist gesture and notifications backlight and there is no control over it. Please adjust it in the next beta. 

• I don’t see a way to disable sleep mode.  It activated the first night I got the watch and I couldn’t get out of it. I’ve since set sleep time to one minute, 12am to 12:01.  

• Thank you for all the replies, really appreciate all of them. 

While I understand the customization possibilities and welcome it, on every fenix that I’ve used before you didn’t have to do it, it just worked when you actually slept. If I needed customization, I used it, otherwise I didn’t have to worry about throning off and on the sleeping mode and all the options that come with it. 

• I have dnd off in sleep mode with touch on and still my touchscreen stops working during sleep mode and I'm not getting notifications. 

This sucks. I don't mind entering a sleep window so it knows when to detect sleep but I really wish it wasn't connected to the watch behavior.

My 945 had a sleep window that had absolutely nothing to do with watch behavior

• So, I just got my 7X, same issue with SW 7.20.

When Sleep Mode is active (during the schedule set) the Touch Screen does not work, even though Touch is enabled in the Sleep Mode settings.

Another issue related to it is, if I set the watch to DND and DND is enabled in Sleep Mode, when the sleep schedule is over, DND is automatically turned off.

Can we get a setting to turn off Sleep Mode completely? Or at least fix the Touch option to work in Sleep Mode and when the sleep schedule is over, if DND has been turned on manually do not disable it, leave it on.

Thanks!

• I also was surprised by the touchscreen behavior.

That said, I was able to enable the touch screen during sleep mode.
    The strange thing is that there are 2 places te set options for the touch screen in sleep mode

1) Menu > System > Touchscreen > In Sleepmode
    2) Menu > System > Sleepmode > Touchscreen

You will probably have to play with both settings to get it to work for you.

• Hi, thanks for the suggestion, indeed there are 2 places where you can enable Touch during Sleep. Both were enabled. I'm guessing one is for when the watch detects that the user is asleep and the other one is in Sleep Mode (with its schedule). As soon as the Sleep Mode schedule starts, the touchscreen no longer works. all the touch enable options are being ignored.

• Hey Garmin.  Some of us run for three days straight over 200+ miles on little to no sleep.  Have an option to DISABLE sleep mode completely for Fenix 7  Thanks 

• I tested it with both settings set to enable the touchscreen and can confirm that the touchscreen is disabled after entering Sleep Mode.
    Going into Controls (Long push Light) it states "Touch: On", but it isn't.
    Toggling the settings in the Controls screen does however reenable Touch in Sleep Mode.

Not sure if one of the settings is for when the watch detects sleep. Reading the post from  up above I've come to understand that Sleep Mode is purely just for toggling the screen dimming, the touchscreen, DND, etc. during the set schedule. 
    It has nothing to do with Sleep detection, this will take place regardless if the watch is in Sleep Mode or not.

• Hi all, (edited, 1:15 PM CST)

For those of you who have Touch: On for Sleep Mode, but see that touch isn't working during the sleep window, I have a request.

So the touchscreen is initially less sensitive during sleep mode. This is intentional - we do not want the screen to wake or respond to accidental touch input if the user is legitimately asleep. With sleep mode active, the display will respond to a tap on the screen and activate the backlight so the user can read the current time. However, at least one button press is necessary for full touch capability to return - this is intentional, the watch is waiting for this button press to confirm that you are awake so that the system is not responding to false touches while the user is actually sleeping.

I would also ask that the next time you are in this state: please try pressing a button and then checking if the touchscreen is fully responsive as you'd expect.

I have tested this function and found it to be performing as expected. Although we acknowledge that this intended behavior is not particularly clear, given that the name of the Touch, During Sleep setting is simply "On." We will evaluate how this behavior can be clarified in the manual.

Additionally, I have found that if I end Sleep Mode from the Controls Menu (accessible if you press and hold the Light/Power button) then full Touch functionality returns. Even if the current time would be within your sleep window, ending Sleep in this manner will return you to normal touchscreen responsiveness - no initial button press necessary. If you believe this behavior is not working for you, please email my team at [email protected] and send us the settings.fit file from the Garmin\Settings folder on your watch. We would like to look at your specific settings configuration to evaluate what might be going wrong here.

Thanks,
    Mel
    Garmin Outdoor Quality Team

• Hi, thanks for the reply!

Pressing a button does indeed activate the touchscreen and from there it works fine. After a few seconds, if the touchscreen isn't used, it locks up again.

It recognizes a tap, the backlight turns on, but I was unable to use it, no matter how much I swiped. It only activates again after a button press. If this is normal behavior, it kind of gets in the way if you're awake and just want to use touch since there's no way to turn off Sleep Mode.

Second issue with Sleep Mode is, it disables DND once the sleep schedule ends, so I can't have the watch on DND, permanently (for when I do not wear it, so it doesn't buzz on my desk for every notification). It would be nice if Sleep Mode would check if DND was set manually and leave it on once the schedule ends.

It would be useful to have an option to disable Sleep Mode completely.