Any tricks to increase accuracy of current tempo while running?

Hi

Since one year, I am a happy owner of a Fenix 6X Pro.

The only relevant things that drives me nuts is the current tempo while running. Even with good satellite signal, the current tempo seems  to be very inaccurate

It is a known issue, but my question is: Is there any way to improve it somehow?

For example, data recording in 1 second instead auto increases dramatically the accuracy of the GPS track.

Is there something similar for tempo?

Strangely, speed while biking seems to be very accurate.

By the way, I think Running dynamics pod could have been used to refine current tempo…there is a known issue with the false stride length, but actually it records cadence, stride length and is even able to calculate power…why do not use this rich data to improve current tempo?

Thanks!

Top Replies

All Replies

• HRM-Pro will increase the running distance and pace accuracy significantly (once it is properly calibrated).

• Stryd gives you perfekt pace and distance

• Didn't know that HRM Pro can be used to increase accuracy in pace, running dynamics pods seems more addecuated for that but it is not.

Actually distance for me is, pace is more whar I see issues with the fenix 6. Anyway it is not in my plan to buy more addtional gear, I have already the running dynamics pod and a Polar H10...

• Yes Stryd will be the best option but as I said, I am not planning to buy more gear but optimize what I have and therefore checking if there is any configuratin that may increase pace accuracy

Thanks anyway!

• Didn't know that HRM Pro can be used to increase accuracy in pace, running dynamics pods seems more addecuated for that but it is not.

HRM-Pro and HRM-Fit do improve the accuracy. RD Pod does not have this feature. No idea why, since the sensors are there, and its predecessor Foot Pod does have the feature, and improves the accuracy too. I still recommend the HRM-Pro (or Fit) over any pod, since it brings much more features than just that.

• If you want accurate pace/speed under all conditions then you're going to have to buy either a foot pod or an HRM-Pro. There's not really any other option. GNSS signals inherently have limited precision on a second by second basis.

• Yes, I think HRM Pro is the way to go and probably I will get rid of the Running Dynamics pod. I still can use the Polar H10 for MTB.

Regarding pace accuracy, I do not think it is a problem of GNSS signal only. Previously I owned a Suunto 9 peak and was much better, same with my old and trusty Ambit 3 peak, both with 1 second data recording. Even my cheap Forerunner 35 seems better than the Fenix 6 so it seems to be some kind of problem of the hardware / software or the usage of the different inner sensors of the Fenix 6

• Thank you again for your responses.

In your opinion, How is the best way to calibrate the HRM Pro? Unfortunately I do not have any treadmill near my home

KR

Rubén

• In your opinion, How is the best way to calibrate the HRM Pro? Unfortunately I do not have any treadmill near my home

You do not need any treadmill. You just have to make ~2 hours of outdoor runs under good GPS conditions (clear open skies, no hi-rise buildings, walls, mountains, overpasses, trees,...)

Calibrating the Pace and Distance Feature on a HRM-Pro or HRM-Pro Plus | Garmin Customer Support

Once the calibration and the accuracy is satisfactory, you may turn off the auto-calibration. You can also keep it on permanently. 

Note: keep the options HRM Pace & Distance in the option "Indoor Only"! Do not use "Outdoors"! The data from the HRM is used outdoors when the accuracy of the GPS signal is lower, even when kept in the option "Indoors". By selecting "Outdoors", only the HRM data would be used, even for the sections with 100% GPS accuracy, and that would lead to lower accuracy.

• Thank you again for the explanation!

Is it possible to turn on / off calibration during a training?

Normally I have parts of my trainings with very good GPS accuracy (open space in parks and similar) but some parts it is only OK (near my home)