Public Alpha 21.71 - available under new forum space - Beta Program

The first Alpha release is now out and publicly available under the forum space Beta Program

https://forums.garmin.com/beta-program/

Like in the past this version need to be installed manually, see the links below

-

Direct link to the post on the forum: forums.garmin.com/.../alpha-version-21-71

=Changelog=

Fixed an issue where Run/Walk/Idle total time didn’t equal Total Time displayed on watch/Garmin Connect (now all times when totaled should match Total Time).
Fixed an issue where user could not delete a Strength workout from device.
Fixed an issue with Metronome hot key not working in the Walk activity.
Fixed issue in the Jumpmaster activity where the listed elevation data would not properly update.
Fixed an issue that could prevent device from booting up properly.

-

Garmin Wiki:

• I do not want to repeat this type of post everytime a new version is published

Why do you need to feel the need to do so? Those interested will find the space. I think it's a much better idea to limit the alpha/beta software to those enrolled in the program.

• It doesn't help that people continue to post feature enhancement requests in a forum intended for reporting bugs.

To be fair, this is at least 50% Garmin's fault. The sub forum is called 'Bug Reports', but all the posts in there are called 'Ideas'. E.g. after clicking the + button, i am presented with a screen saying 'Submit your Idea'.

• For the same reason like DC Rainmaker, to inform about it because there is a big change and sometimes a lack of information and more we are testing and reporting, more reliable will be the softwrae for everyone ;-)

www.dcrainmaker.com/.../garmin-beta-platform-revamp.html

• Yeah to be honest, though I appreciate what you're trying to do, what you are actually doing is making things more confusing and probably putting people off enrolling in the beta program. After having a better look at the Beta forum it makes more sense. I still think it's convoluted as I like to just look in one place for stuff related to my watch. I don't like turning subscriptions on as I get notified for lots of ridiculous posts. Instead I prefer to just check regularly in one place. Now I have to check 3 or 4 places to find everything. The strength of the program is based on how likely people are to post feedback and I still think there could be less steps but I will admit I am more likely to post in a flawed forum rather than submit an email having to make sure I include all the required information

• I have updated the first post, maybe it is less confusing now, bye.

• TOTALLY.

It is ok to make the programm a little harder to register to cause I believe many people just install betas without looking for consequences. But now different kind of software which was before a simple beta test is a mess. Why not make everything a beta besides the normal system updates for everyone? Why is there a need to make alphas which will be installed manually while the others are installed through normal update method. Totally confusing. 

Why not at least just make betas, not any manually installable alphas?

And I agree that the beta forum is totally confusing too with so many sub forums etc to klick through. 

Then there are no Garmin officals posting anything abouzt software anymore, there are normal names, nothing from an official like before. You can't see if this post was created by a garmin employee. 

Totally agree here. 

F.e. there was a bug reported weeks ago that some users experience Battery saver mode after finishing an activity without activating it. This imo major bug is still there according to 21.71 changelog (no mention there). Why are we reporting stuff if it won't be fixed weeks after? This bug f.e. is not a fenix 6 only bug but across different series. 

• I really like the new way of doing alphas/betas. Much better overview of bugs reported and also easier to see an enhancment requests and scroll to next interesting report. I also like it to be request free, but sometimes it's hard to see if a bad behavior is by design or not. It would be easy for Garmin to quickly give that kind of feedback and close the 'idea'.

We can aslo see if Garmin is working on a bug or not (Ticket created), at least I hope that Garmin is open with us and doing this.

I also hope that Garmin is open about which one they do not prioritize to work on and use the 'Not planned' status.

• I also like the new, more structured approach. It will take some time until the structure is settled in all our heads but in the end I am sure it will be an advantage to the old way. What does not make it easier is that currently not even Garmin is sticking to the new structure, see 20.01 Beta Smiley

• That's great that Garmin is working on it. But if it's an alpha version and if the overall strength feature and interface most likely continue to be problematic...

...I would like to DOWNGRADE. So if is not so much to ask, could someone KINDLY provide us with information on how to DOWNGRADE from the 21.0 version? (In my case, I have a Fenix 6s Sapphire. Not sure it matters.)

• So if is not so much to ask, could someone KINDLY provide us with information on how to DOWNGRADE from the 21.0 version? (In my case, I have a Fenix 6s Sapphire. Not sure it matters.)

You just need to get a backdate file that is posted with any beta versions then copy it to your /Garmin folder via USB

I keep them for the 6 and 6x but not the 6s sadly.

If you post the version you want, someone will have a copy.