Fenix 6X Pro - why do my GPS tracks have straight line sections?

My brand new Fenix 6X Pro watch (Xmas gift) is recording tracks with straight line sections in them. Should I return the watch to Garmin?

I use the watch in the Lake District hills (UK) to navigate planned routes and record my tracks.

I'm using 'every second' and have tried smart recording too. I have also tried GPS + Galileo and GPS + GLONASS. Nearly all the tracks contain sections where my movement was not being faithfully recorded. I was always under a very open sky. My phone was also tracking on one occasion and it had no trouble at the point where the Fenix track straight-lined.

Auto-pause is off.

Any clues? I'm on the point of returning it.  My Garmin eTrex 20x has never missed a beat over many years use.

• That is most unfortunate. I have evidence through many emails discussing this issue with their office here in the UK. They tell me they have investigated and 'cannot reproduce it'. The query was passed onto the tech people in the USA. As they claim not to be able to reproduce the issue they seem to have stopped all further investigation. 

They did want me to report any new tracks as evidence, but I had to tell them I'd sold my 6X and now am using the 7X Solar/Sapphire. If it does anything similar I will let then know. So that has given them the excuse not to go any further with the issue for me personally. This is a shame really.

So far, fingers crossed, the fault doesn't seem to be manifesting itself in my 7X. I used it for a week last month in Scotland in similar scenarios where the 6X would have done the straight-line thing, but all ok with the 7X as far as I can tell.

I did read somewhere that some widgets did strange things to track recording, I can't remember the details. The only one I had on the 6X was a 3rd party data field that allowed me to display a British OS grid reference. My 7X is currently just stock, no 3rd party anything for a while.

• Can you share a relevant email excahnge with me? Or can I share your email address with them? It is particularly galling to be told nobody else has reported this issue when I know full well they have!

• Hi ! ı already reported it to garmin nearly 1 mont ago when ı saw your post. but they send auto reply 

''Hello Metin,

Good day and glad to assist you with this.

Emails are not via email directly to our customers. To update the software on your fenix 6x you will need to use Garmin Express:

How to Install Software and Map Updates to My fenix 6 Pro, Pro Solar or Sapphire Series Watch

Please review the following: Troubleshooting the fenix 6 Series Altimeter and Barometer

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.''

i have exactly the same problem. altitude gain calculation is sometimes correct and sometimes incorrect. but my going up track record on the map exactly incorrect if ım going slow.

• That reply you posted is script generated so you can be sure your report wasn't passed on - sounds like the person didn't understand the issue.

• Hi Geoffmozz. Happy to do that. Can we see email addresses here? If so, I’ll send you what I have. If not, you can somehow let me know yours! Sorry this is a late reply. I don’t think I got an email notification of your post …

• I've just sent you a 'private message'. Hopefully you'll get a notification for that or similar. Cheers.

• Agreed. I'm not convinced any of the support agents I've had exchanges with know how to inspect the data in a Garmin FIT file.

• After some extensive testing I noticed, that in heavy wooded areas there is much less chance to encounter this issue, despite moving really slow. However, if this happens it takes longer period of high speed to unfreeze. My guess, the weaker GPS signal makes it harder for the watch to detect any movement, so it is "unsure" whether freeze or not. Tightly clouded sky seems to produce similar effect.

Looks like Garmin ignores this issue simply because not so many people use the watch is such "extended low speed" scenarios. This bug makes the watch almost unusable for mountaineering purposes, and I'm kinda forced to go with 7x.

• Interesting Dima. Mine used to do it only when moving very slowly uphill on a very steep path or scramble in the mountains, no trees! It happened almost every time. Annoying!

Sold it now to a runner, so he should be ok.

It hasn’t happened once, yet, with the 7X. So Garmin must have done something to their processing / algorithms…?

• Under open and clear sky it just happens more frequently, and several quick steps solves the issue for short time. And because I read your previous comment about F7x, I will probably buy it. Greatly increased GPS accuracy is also welcome.