This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Please bring back Temperature sensor in swimming pool activity!!

In version 18.80, Garmin has decided to deactivate the Temperature sensor. I use this information in swimmnig at pool because the data provided is pretty reliable, while in other activities the temperature is affected by the body heat and is not much useful. For me, knowing the water temperature of the pool is a valuable information to interpret the training (too hot = poor performance)

• This is the only thing we have heard directly from Garmin-Chris regarding the sensor(s):

The Pool Swim APP temperature sensor was disabled in an effort to improve the sensors reliability. Thank you for your feedback. I will be happy to pass it along to our engineers.

I don't read into that any intention to "protect" the temperature sensor, rather I interpret that to mean they are attempting to increase the reliability of the output of the "sensor."

Remember, in this case, the "sensor" is a single pressure sensor that provides information for Temperature, Elevation (Altitude), and Barometric Pressure.

I can well imagine a scenario where folks have complained to Garmin in the past about erroneous Baro Pressure or Altimeter data reported during a Pool Swim; easy fix would be to disable the sensor for the Pool Swim App - no more erroneous data.  Also, unfortunately, no more Temp data, either.

Sounds to me like Garmin has heard the complaint, and is investigating whether Temp data only, without Baro or Alti data, could be implemented for the Pool Swim App.

All the conjecture in this thread about galvanic reactions, protective shutters, etc., while entertaining, is most likely superfluous.

HTH

• you may have cracked the code.  kudos!  so- during the swim, the temp output is not accurate... so instead of getting complaints about an inaccurate temp sensor in chlorine environments- they've just disabled the output. well- that is a solution.  

• you may have cracked the code.  kudos!  so- during the swim, the temp output is not accurate... so instead of getting complaints about an inaccurate temp sensor in chlorine environments- they've just disabled the output. well- that is a solution.  

Not exactly...

What I was trying to convey is that during the swim, the Baro and Alti outputs are not accurate... so instead of getting complaints about inaccurate Baro and Alti readings - they've just disabled all output from the sensor.

HTH

• The ability to measure water temperature readings during a pool swim activity was removed in version 19.20.