Garmin - change in sync behaviour?

Komoot, Strava and PlotARoute offer features to sync routes from their platforms to GArmin.

In the past, it seemed to be (and this seems confirmed as both Komoot and PAR mention this in their own support articles) that setting up routes for sync (for example, starring them in PAR) would mark them for syncing to GC and then the user can manually send them onto a device

So for example PAR say that "Once a route has been transferred to Garmin Connect you can sync it with your Garmin devices, following the instructions on Garmin Connect. If your device supports bluetooth, you can sync it using the Garmin Connect mobile app, otherwise you'll need to download the Garmin Express transfer software, which will transfer the route from your computer."

This behaviour has seemingly changed that any such a route now AUTO syncs to your device as well. This behaviour may be problematic for people with multiple devices.

Can anyone else confirm (with Strava, PAR or Komoot accounts) this behaviour? And if so, Garmin, can this be please looked at?

(Forwarded to Garmin support as well

• The most frustrating thing being this functionality that you describe exists today, no additional development necessary! It's simply an additional bit of code, seemingly added as part of the opening up to 3rd party sites and that only acting on these courses, presumably done in a vein attempt to improve the user experience, that needs to be turned off (either for good or at the very least a user selectable option).

Some bugs sometimes seem simple, yet their resolution can be anything but. This on the other hand.. suspect poor Garmin support reps. have already spent more man-hours batting this one away vs. the necessary code commenting out to fix!!

• My final comment on this - what I can't understand is why Garmin's own internal testers, presumably who themselves use many Garmin devices, haven't noticed this - indeed the more devices on your account the greater the problem. I can only assume these users either a) always use dummy/test accounts without links to multiple devices and 3rd party sites, b) reset their devices so often as part of the test cycle the build up of an unmanageable amount of courses doesn't become apparent.

Seems more test use cases are required, especially surrounding a single GC account with multiple devices (and of different generations) connected to it - thinking back a number of bugs I've encountered has been due to incompatibilities between devices as opposed to standalone device operation. Just a thought.

• Exact the same here for komoot. It's annoying since syncing komoot directly with Garmin seems the only way to successfully transfer longer tracks (typ. planned tracks with more than 100km) to my watch. Using the download function from the komoot IQ App often results in "too many waypoints" errors in these cases. With linking the accounts I was able to sync tracks as long as 1000km successfully. But it's annoying that then all my planned komoot tracks will be automatically transferred to the watch (which clutters my watch).

• This feature has always been auto-sync, this is not new. If you star it it will sync. Same with Strava. With Komoot you don't even have a choice and it will transfer everything.

No, at least not with me and not with my wife either. A route created in Komoot was only synchronized with the Connect account. However, not automatically sent to the devices (f6x/txd/f6sPro). We had to MANUALLY select the route from Connect each, and send to the device.

Edit : Recently it has started to automatically send each track to the watch. Garmin has changed the behavior negatively, and should undo it.

• That's interesting. That's exactly the behaviour I am looking for. Do you use some specific settings? Weird that in my case the sync is automatic and not manual...

• I described the behavior of our watches BEFORE Garmin changed it. Now ALL routes are automatically transferred to the watches. Unfortunately. Garmin should change that again

• I posted earlier this was my interaction with support

"

Their reply

I am sorry you are unhappy with this, this is how Garmin connect is designed.

We cannot guarantee that what you have suggested will be implemented, however we do appreciate you passing along your opinions. Please share your ideas with us at the following page on our website: www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: support.garmin.com/en-GB/
    Kind regards,"

I suggest emailing them and telling them direct - hopefully the more people that complain, the sooner something is done!

• Yeah - it's the only way. eMail support didn't really understand what I was trying to say. And this is not the behaviour it's ALWAYS been as both Komoot and PaR in their support FAQ's mention the fact you should have to do the final push to your watch yourself...

• Done aswell. Called Garmin Germany, support was great: they tested it, confirmed the behaviour and said that they will forward the request to the developers.