TopoActive EU 2021.10 Insufficient Space Issue

I updated the latest maps via Garmin Express. Everything ended normally without a problem. Finally, Garmin Express wrote me that I was with the latest updates. I disconnected my F6 from the PC and restarted it. The process of installing the new maps went smoothly. After reconnecting the watch it to the PC, Garmin Express showed me a new update of TopoActive Europe 2021.10 is available which I had already done. When I try to install this update, I get a message that my device does not have enough space. In my F6 there are 17 GB free and the map is 11 GB. Does anyone have a similar problem? 

• I’d updated 3x devices successfully with the original release, but all were showing as having the same map update available to install within Garmin Express. Updating to the then released latest Garmin Express (Mac) didn’t help.

When the maps were re-released, I updated all 3 devices again. Looked like it worked - no further map update offered - but shortly after unplugging each device Garmin Express again offered the same map update. This despite multiple closing and reopening of Garmin Express, as sometimes required to correct regular weirdness (mostly plugged in devices not being recognised).

What finally did it was plugging in each device again and doing a sync, while nothing to sync the outcome was no further maps offered to reinstall. And it seems to have now stayed like this (rich wood).

TL;DR - (re)install the latest and greatest maps once, unplug, restart Garmin Express, check for updates (per device), restart Garmin Express, plug in device(s), sync (if not done automatically), should be sorted. 

• For Fenix 5X watch owners, the map size is now too large for your watch to have both the Cycle Map and the TopoActive 2021.10 EU map. Our engineers are working on a solution.

Please send me a direct Private Message if you wish to be added to the tracking case so you will receive an email from our Outdoor Helpdesk team once the issue has been resolved. Thank you.

• OT: I'm confused, both my fenix 5 Plus and fenix 6 Pro only came with / are updated with the TopoActive Europe map (I think) - yet the Cycle Map is mentioned above (presumably as on my Edge units)? Is this something specific to the 5X/6X model range?

• The Fenix 5X had both the Cycle map and the TopoActive map. The Cycle map is NOT in the Fenix 5 Plus series and Fenix 6 Pro series watches since the TopoActive map has all the same properties and abilities when using the Bike activity.

• Still experiencing this issue both on Fenix 6 Pro and Edge 830

Moreover Garmin Express thinks I have previous SW version

• Hello, is the issue of maps too big for Garmin Fenix 5x still an open one ? Garmin Express does propose me a cyclemaps that is still too big and has stopped proposing the topoactive alltogether :-(

• The issue is that the f5 "only" has 16GB or RAM which was state-of-the-art when it was released in 2017.
    The previous cycle map was less than 4 GB in size, the current one is 8.2GB (for Europe).
    So even if You're lucky and happen to have a full 1GB of available free space, there will be a lack of 3-4 GB of RAM on the watch to complete the update.
    On pure-bicycle devices like the Edge 830, there is no TopoActive Map obstructing the way, hence no issues there.

Since a couple of years Garmin relies on OSM to be more agile on latest updates. Map updates are typically converted in automated workflows and it seems that the present size-issue wasn't monitored. The update should have been put on hold for the 16GB watches to prevent this user confusion. They should have put an intelligent error handler in GE to feedback such issues silently to Garmin instead of bothering the users with this annoying error.

There are workarounds for this, like consolidating the maps and/or rendering them further down, but this is taking a lot of manual engineering and might even require a new firmware taylored to the 16GB watches. There is a good reason why the recent watches have been upgraded to 32GB of RAM.

• Do I need to wait for express to show me an update or do need to deinstall and reinstall the map to get it at all?

• All you need to do at this time is wait.

• You’re confusing RAM with flash memory. In RAM the currently running SW and some of its data is stored, flash is a persitent storage which survives restart of the watch. Other than that I agree with you.