Diving activities in Garmin Fenix 7

Hello everybody

Wouldn't you like the Fenix ​​7 to have some possibility of diving activities?

I know that the Garmin Descent MK2 exists and I think it is a wonderful device, but I am not going to dive more than once or twice a year, and that if I am lucky.
So I can't justify the money to buy one.

So I think it would be a good opportunity to include the most basic functions of the Descent MK2's dive computer and put them in the Fenix ​​7 (we are talking about no mixed gas dive and basic apnea).

I know this is possible, in fact, I used a Garmin IQ downloadable app for my Fenix ​​5s and it worked like a charm, just like my dedicated dive computer.

This would be a great reason to buy a Fenix ​​7.

• It would be neat, but diving computers have stricter hardware and performance requirements than the Fenix offers, which is why Descent is more expensive. For example, the standard atmospheric barometer doesn't work for accurately measuring water pressure/depth - that requires a different kind of sensor. Yes, the atmospheric barometer can have some algorithms tossed at it that simulate/estimate water depths, but despite your positive experience with the CIQ app, it's really not accurate enough to safely use it for such.

The problem is, if they add diving features and market it as a diving device, without making the proper (more expensive) hardware and performance upgrades necessary for a diving computer, then lives could be at stake. It would be a massive liability issue for Garmin.

So, while it's possible to add diving features, they really shouldn't because it will ramp up the MSRP significantly, and price out the many Fenix buyers who don't care about diving. That's why Garmin currently has, and IMHO always should have, a different device specific for people who want to spend more for a proper diving computer.

It's much better for everyone (both the consumers who want to save money, and Garmin who doesn't want to lose customers or gain unnecessary liability) to keep the Fenix series as a watch that can handle going to diving depths, but that doesn't really offer any diving-specific functions.

• So, while it's possible to add diving features, they really shouldn't because it will ramp up the MSRP significantly, and price out the many Fenix buyers who don't care about diving.

Agreed.

without making the proper (more expensive) hardware and performance upgrades necessary for a diving computer, then lives could be at stake. It would be a massive liability issue for Garmin.

Have you read the dive warnings on page 2 or the disclaimers in the manual? There is nothing on the Descent watch that if it were to fail, that Garmin would take responsibility.  Liability isn't an issue here as their lawyers have this covered with disclaimers.  This can simply be added to the manual of any device. 

• yeah- except there are plenty of cheap $200 dive computers out there- so I'm sure it's possible for a reasonable price.

i.e.   https://www.leisurepro.com/p-mrsppclb/mares-puck-pro-wrist-computer-light-blue?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp-3P8NT87wIVwwh9Ch1zhgokEAYYAiABEgJ2sPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Fenix 6 pressure sensor isn't set up with the range to handle depth pressure, so nobody can create an IQ app for the Fenix 6.  

I too dive just a couple times a year, and would love my Fenix to be able to do dives as well.  It would certainly be a feature that would entice me to upgrade to an F7.  The F6P is so good, other than "thinner, better battery life, bigger screen"- I'm not really sure what else I'd want from a watch that the Fenix 6 doesn't already have.  Taking 2 mm off the thickness and giving me 10 extra battery hours isn't enough for me to upgrade.  But Dive capability?  yeah- that would do it.  I agree with the OP, and believe it's completely possible within the already steep price of the Fenix line.  

or, just create a Fenix 6 Pro Dive model for $100 more- and that would be a great product.  Heck- more useful that the Solar version that adds an extra 6 min of battery life.

• Have you read the dive warnings on page 2 or the disclaimers in the manual? There is nothing on the Descent watch that if it were to fail, that Garmin would take responsibility.  Liability isn't an issue here as their lawyers have this covered with disclaimers.  This can simply be added to the manual of any device. 

It's not quite so simple. There are implied warranties, reliance on marketing statements, consumer protection and product liability laws, UDAP laws, and a host of other things that would give rise to claims, and which cannot just be disclaimed in a manual. 

The theory that you could market and sell a dive computer that doesn't work, and rely on some disclaimer or contract of adhesion to absolve you of liability wouldn't typically fly in the US. And plenty of other countries have also had it with practices involving unequal bargaining power, unfairness/unconscionability, unfair surprise, unequal bargaining power, lack of notice, etc., and have prohibited the waiving of consumer protections rights through contract.

• 1. The "100M" certification of the fenix does NOT correspond to certification for diving (EN13319).

2. the fenix simply does not have a depth gauge.

100 m: Can be used for all types of swimming, poolside diving or snorkelling, but is NOT suitable for scuba diving.

• The theory that you could market and sell a dive computer that doesn't work

Who said anything about selling a dive computer that doesn't work?  You're talking about apples and oranges. Of course it a product line was known to be defective and was intentionally put on the market then a company can be held liable.  The Descent isn't one of those products, so if your watch failed for one reason or another, you think you could hold Garmin liable?  Name one example of how it could fail and you think you're going to cash in?  Just one. 

• If you are a diver and care about your life you know you should only use equipment that is designed to use for diving. So no, keep the Fenix as it.

• I have both a Descent Mk2, and a Fenix 6X solar. While the fenix gets many more updates it never seems to do everything up to spec at any one time. At the moment by "big" issues with the fenix 6 are intensity minutes, sleep and battery life. I alternate every week or 2 between them. The Descent just works as specified sleep is perfect, intensity minutes accurate. I agree some way of recording your dive with a Fenix6 would be great. I still use a dedicated air integrated dive computer as my main aid, but like to record the dive on the descent (writing too small for old eyes). 

All activities in 1 place!

• Oops, I might have spoken too soon. I see software version 8 is available for the descent and includes on watch sleep calculation! To upgrade or not?

• People in this forum claim that the Fenix 6 is already ”not fit for purpose” since it does not smooth the graphs for current pace while running. Or that the WHR is not accurate in all situations. Or that the GPS is off by a few meters..

And you suggest that it should support diving even though it does not have what it takes to do that accurately.

I’m glad I’m not a product manager at Garmin because people in this forum sure is a tough crowd to please.