Screen Resolution Vs Battery life

Since some discussions emerging about next generation watches I was thinking what we should expect. I am using Garmin since Fenix 2 (I have F6 Solar) and also used other smart watches such as Samsung Galaxy and Amazfit Stratos 3 Sport watch.

Some people mentioned next generation models should have a better resolution screen or OLED which significant decreases battery life.

Compared side by side Stratos Transflective 320x320 display with F6 260x260 display F6 is better.  I prefer F6 larger fonts and icons which are far more visible when I check my watch from distance during my run or cycling. I don't need tiny fonts to read long texts or other advanced smart watch features in a pure sport watch.

In addition Garmin competitors (Polar, Coros, Suunto 3/5/7) also use mid resolution displays and if we compare with Garmin Venu or Suunto 9 high res displays they provide disappointing battery life

I would definitely prefer increased battery life, more responsive menu's, lighter casing, SW improvements and maybe a touchscreen and some aesthetical changes.

• Ah, ok, I was looking for any reference to always on but couldn't find one. Is it too optimistic to think that the screen 'lighting up' is like when the F6 backlight comes on and that there's an 'unlit' display always visible or is that not possible with OLED?

I agree in the absence of some innovation that allows multi-day/multi-week battery life with an always on OLED screen, I'd prefer the current screen tech just in a higher resolution and maybe a bit more color/contrast 

• Is it too optimistic to think that the screen 'lighting up' is like when the F6 backlight comes on and that there's an 'unlit' display always visible or is that not possible with OLED?

Yeah, that's not how OLED works. There's no backlight as on the Fenix, an OLED has to individually "light up" pixels for them to be visible, which is why you frequently see dark backgrounds on OLEDs like Apple Watches and the Suunto 7. Black text on white backgrounds use up way more power.

OLED watches with always on displays usually resort to a black screen with dim digits/elements to preserve battery, but even that sucks up WAY, WAY more than a MIP LCD would (and the MIP is fully readable in sunlight whereas the OLED would be totally washed out).

• The closest "cheap" smart watch alternative with AOD is Stratos 3 which I also own. As I mentioned before Stratos 3 has higher PPI (1,3"inch with 320x320). Even it has better display specs (resolution) its IPS display in viewing distance is similar to F6. Stratos has slight worst clarity/contrast (with "blueish" backlight).
    Stratos battery life is very good almost comparable to F6 (F6 has a slight advantage).
    Battery life is a combination of Display technology, CPU, Software and external connections (sensors, Wifi, BT, etc).