Garmin Ultrafit Watch Strap First Impressions

I posted this on Reddit earlier and thought it might be useful here. 
I just thought I'd give my first impressions on the Ultrafit Strap that comes on the new Enduro. I've put it on the Fenix 6X.

VIDEO!!: First impressions

Good:

• Very breathable.
  • Super Comfortable.
  • Easy to slip on and off your wrist.
  • Strong velcro.
  • Slightly less bounce than the silicone during runs.
  • Very fine adjustment.
  • Feels very secure.
  • The metal ends of the strap won't fit underneath the strap bars unless they are angled in a particular way so if the velcro comes undone the watch won't slip off.
  • Very low profile.
  • No buckle that can be annoying when your wrist is on a desk or laptop.
  • Makes the 6x weigh less than the 6!

Bad:

• No longer convenient to use with the Garmin QuickFit Quarter-turn Bike Mount.
  • It would be super annoying to use with a RoadID.
  • Expensive for a nylon band.

Weights: The Fenix 6X Sapphire with Ultrafit strap is 72 Grams. Weight with original silicone strap is 93 grams. It looks like the Enduro’s weight reduction is entirely due to the strap. This puts the 6x with the Ultrafit strap in between the 6s (61 grams) and 6 (83 grams) with the silicone strap. As a modestly ultralight backpacker, that is not insignificant.

I didn't love the silicone band and keeping it tight caused some skin irritation. I bought the 26mm Mankey Hook Strap, but didn't like it how much it bounced during runs. This is way more expensive, but since I run everyday, and wear my watch nearly 100% of the time, I think it will be worth it.

TLDR: Only get this band if the silicone band causes irritation, you think the 6X is on the heavy side, you like nylon bands, you don’t switch bands frequently, and $50 doesn’t seem too bad. If the silicone/metal/leather bands you already have are perfectly fine, don’t buy this one.

• The strap that @ suggested is pretty decent, if you can accept the metal QuikFit will mess up the Compass calibration (which as I never use is fine but for others will be a showstopper).

I didn't use mine at first as I have quite thin wrists and it was a bit long, but as soon as I went back to the Garmin strap i started getting rashes, so I'm back on the el cheapo strap a bit higher up my wrist.

Off course for non X owners the new strap is a no-go even if you're willing to swallow the price, but the 3rd party market isn't a panacea.

• Just received my second Ultrafit strap - this time in grey:

I find these straps a little short on my 7.5" wrist, so I used two of the Garmin QuickFit adapters from the Garmin Tactical Nylon strap - now a perfect fit.

Obviously I like these new straps.  They are very comfortable, light, take to water well, etc., etc.  Other than the price, I can't find anything to complain about.

Oh, and the Tactical Nylon adapters used on the Garmin Tactical Nylon strap, even though they are metal, have no effect on the compass.

HTH

• Oh, and the Tactical Nylon adapters used on the Garmin Tactical Nylon strap, even though they are metal, have no effect on the compass.

I prefer the look of your tactical / ultra-fit combination to the official Ultrafit strap. 

I suspect the reason some 3rd party Quikfit straps impact the Compass is they use steel or iron in them. 

As a 6 Pro owner (22mm), all the nylon solutions seems to be 3rd party compromises because of the high pricing on the official Garmin offerings (here in the UK at least the nylon strap pricing is extremely high) which I guess is why the 3rd party options become appealing.

1. I'm going to give the Scosche a shot while I wait for my NMD. At $12 for 2, I could treat it like a consumable and change it out every few months if needed. I presume there's also a use to figure out for the large sized band that comes in the pack (or it can be cut down to size in a pinch and velcro hot-glued to make it shorter).
  • Ugh... ok I just dropped $99 for a Garmin Tactical quickfit strap Fearful

Can't believe I'm spending so much on this project....

• you got way too much $$$. i cannot be tempted because mine is 22 mm Slight smile

• Me: $50 for a velcro wrist strap? Unforgiveable! Rip-off! Sham! What is Garmin thinking, pricing a piece of fabric like that?

Also me: $40 for that Nick Mankey elastic band everyone talks about, plus $20 for an ebay band shipped from Hong Kong? And delivery times are so long that maybe I should just get two now in case I like them and don't want the extra wait time for a second one!

• i got my nylon strap on ali express for $5. :) but 3 weeks shipping time.

• i got my nylon strap on ali express for $5. :) but 3 weeks shipping time.

I have the same strap after I saw your recommendation, I got mine from Ebay.co.uk and I had it 8 days after ordering. Came to just over 6 UK pounds delivered, 20% of that was VAT.

Garmin UK strap pricing is here, so the price differential is quite stark: https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/610827

• I wondered if anyone has seen a 22mm equivalent that would fit the F6Pro