VO2 Max - trail running for Garmin Fenix 6x

New Garmin Enduro: The first is an updated VO2 Max score that takes trail running into account. On standard Garmin devices, VO2 Max is estimated in part using pace. So runners that switch to the trail can find the slower pace hammers their VO2 Max. The Garmin Enduro will adjust for that.

Is there a possibility to get a software update with this feature info Garmin Fenix 6X?

• Ah! Thanks, OK, yes I found it in Fit Details, the number there is what was reported by Garmin on Wednesday discarding the decimal places. Garmin has me 4.13 point higher.

Sadly I still think Runalyze is probably more accurate, alledegly according to Garmin I am in the Top 1% fitness for my age in both cycling and running, flattering for sure, but I think if I look at Runalyze's running VO2 then look at my predicted Race times and what I can do in reality, I reckon Runalyze's own VO2Max calculation is more accurate (for me at least)

Thanks for your help! 

• Welcome! Yes, same here, the Runalyze numbers are much more in line with the times I can actually race, though the Garmin numbers do give me a good read of how my condition is varying with training.

I cannot for the life of me figure out what the value up by Marathon Shape means - it's not a running average of recent values, it's about .7 lower than that for me

• Marathon shape seems to rise when you start doing long runs frequently, I started seeing increases after a doing several runs of about 15 to 17 miles quite frequently. I wasn't training for a marathon (or anything else) but the figure kept rising week by week over a couple of months. 

• If you click the question mark in the circle next to it, they give this explanation...

"

MARATHON SHAPE

The marathon shape is an invention of Runalyze to optimize prognoses for long distances, that are based on the effective VO2max. These prognoses normally can't consider whether the athlete has the optimal fitness or endurance for a marathon. The marathon shape is the solution for this problem, as the prognoses are continually adjusted for missing fitness.

To calculate the marathon shape, the kilometers made a week as well as every single run according to length are looked at. Other physical activities (e.g. cycling) are not going to be considered. The target is set to a calculated value according to the athlete's current best possible marathon time, based on the VO2max. The kilometers and the distance of the weekly long run are derived from typical marathon training plans.

By default, these calculations are based on the training of the last six months, while the kilometres made a week count 2/3 and the long distance runs account for 1/3 of the 'Marathon shape'. These parameters can be changed individually by every athlete."

• Sorry, what I meant was how they calculate the average VO2max value in the box where Marathon Shape is, but I can see why you thought I meant marathon shape itself. I found the explanation for shape some time back Slight smile

ETA: thank you for the info of course!

• seems to rise when you start doing long runs frequently

Yes,  the small print on marathon shape mentions that the long run distance is quadratic in the calculation, so double the distance would be four times the contribution and it really does climb fast when you get into that 15-17 mile range and above.